Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How many of you are in your 60s ? When you get to that age, then perhaps you can tell the mad one he's ...erm mad ? Untill then I'd get back to your 24/7 internet browsing ^_^

I'm pretty sure it's already been said that there are valid reasons why someone of 73 might want/need to push weights. More generally though, the guy has singularly failed to explain why increasing leg strength is a good thing for everyone else. The 'prevention of injury' thing doesn't really cut it, if you think about it.

VamP

Banned
How many of you are in your 60s ? When you get to that age, then perhaps you can tell the mad one he's ...erm mad ? Untill then I'd get back to your 24/7 internet browsing ^_^

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am multitasking :thumbsup:

Edited: Seriously though, do I need to be a certain age to understand it's physiological implications? Nobody is disputing that there may be other reasons for a bit of strength training. The discussion is centred around cycling performance.

uclown2002

Guru
I rest my case - the proof of the pudding is in the eating

So far in 2013 I've cycled 10,627 miles in 625 hrs @ 17mph. Now I'm 50 year old and have not done any weight training for 15 years.
I'm not blowing my own trumpet as there are many people my age faster and can ride longer so I'm merely setting the scene. Will weight training give me ANY benefit in terms of my cycling? What will it enable me to do that I can't do now? Your main protagonists in this thread will maintain it is of little value to me; and I'm with them as things stand.

I'm not, and I don't think anyone else is, disputing the general long term health benefits of resistance training, but I simply don't have the time as I prioritise my cycling. If you can demonstrate it will improve my cycling then perhaps I need to focus on it more.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's already been said that there are valid reasons why someone of 73 might want/need to push weights. More generally though, the guy has singularly failed to explain why increasing leg strength is a good thing for everyone else. The 'prevention of injury' thing doesn't really cut it, if you think about it.
You seem to be quite upset by the fact that you cant understand me - didums

lukesdad

Well i think everybody has jumped in a bit here as usual, the OP as i read it, was gym routines for strength and to improve power to weight ratio, not strength to improve power to weight ratio, or have i read it wrong? I'm sure most of you will agree they are 2 different things, but then again on the other hand knowing you lot....

The prevention of injury depends on a lot of things, but strengthening the core helps to support large leg muscle, not that you have any as you ve told us, unfortunately I do and will pay the price for a weak core over the years.

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru
Well i think everybody has jumped in a bit here as usual, the OP as i read it, was gym routines for strength and to improve power to weight ratio, not strength to improve power to weight ratio, or have i read it wrong? I'm sure most of you will agree they are 2 different things, but then again on the other hand knowing you lot....

That's how I read it!

But just to stir it up a bit more, a recent study has shown that replacing a portion of endurance training by explosive strength training prevents a decrease in short-term performance without compromising gains in endurance performance of trained cyclists.

VamP

Banned
That's how I read it!

But just to stir it up a bit more, a recent study has shown that replacing a portion of endurance training by explosive strength training prevents a decrease in short-term performance without compromising gains in endurance performance of trained cyclists.

Careful with terms like strength and power. They are very different things.

Share a linky and we'll analyse criticize it for you :laugh:

lukesdad

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am multitasking :thumbsup:

Edited: Seriously though, do I need to be a certain age to understand it's physiological implications? Nobody is disputing that there may be other reasons for a bit of strength training. The discussion is centred around cycling performance.
I know its been turned into that 'centred around cycling performance' [reads racing], but that was the point I was making about the OP s question I'm still not sure what strength he is looking to gain, are you ?

The OP would have to clarify that, but I took it to mean 'gyming to improve power'. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, the OP posts once and is then never seen again.

lukesdad

And so beginneth another 16-page thread on strength training for endurance cyclists.... ;)

Seriously, I don't know if you have researched this at all - but there is very little evidence to equate improved leg strength to improve cycling performance. Go to the gym if you like, but don't go there on the expectation of improving your cycling fitness.
The assumption was made here, the first answer, the assumption you lot allways make by the way.

VamP

Banned
I know its been turned into that 'centred around cycling performance' [reads racing], but that was the point I was making about the OP s question I'm still not sure what strength he is looking to gain, are you ?

@madpensioner is not the OP. The thread has moved on some from the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom