Winter Strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know its been turned into that 'centred around cycling performance' [reads racing], but that was the point I was making about the OP s question I'm still not sure what strength he is looking to gain, are you ?
Im not looking to gain something - I HAVE gain by using weights - you can see what i have gained - try it and you will be able to do what i am do in my mid 70s
- if you dont like what i am doing then dont do it - if you try it and it doesnt work for then stop - simples

bianchi1

Guru

VamP

Banned
Here's a good one that might be useful to the OP as he is a sportive rider:

http://brage.bibsys.no/nih/bitstream/URN:NBN:no-bibsys_brage_17676/1/Raastad ScandJMedSciSport 2011.pdf

Argues that strength training, combined with endurance training increases mean power output during a 5 min effort after 185 min of sub maximal riding.

All I can read is the title, and as that does not make sense, I am assuming it's a poor translation. Can you link to the actual paper?

lukesdad

who is 'you lot' ? - Do you mean 'people with an interest in improving their performance on a bike'?
That maybe, but the lot I am referring to are those that don't read the question or misread it on purpose and spout off on their own agenda. Is that clearer for you?

Did your hear about the old bull and the young bull at the top of a hill - the young bull said lets run down the hill and make love to one of those cows
- the old bull said lets walk down and do the lot.

lukesdad

Im not looking to gain something - I HAVE gain by using weights - you can see what i have gained - try it and you will be able to do what i am do in my mid 70s
- if you dont like what i am doing then dont do it - if you try it and it doesnt work for then stop - simples
You 're not the OP you 're the OAP :biggrin: [ I give up ]

Here's a good one that might be useful to the OP as he is a sportive rider:

http://brage.bibsys.no/nih/bitstream/URN:NBN:no-bibsys_brage_17676/1/Raastad ScandJMedSciSport 2011.pdf

Argues that strength training, combined with endurance training increases mean power output during a 5 min effort after 185 min of sub maximal riding.

The same old studies get trotted out every time this subject comes up. All that proves is that a group who did more training, did better than a group which did less training.

bianchi1

Guru
The same old studies get trotted out every time this subject comes up. All that proves is that a group who did more training, did better than a group which did less training.

the point is the extra training was 'strength' training. loaded squats if understand the methods.

As you say in you first post " there is very little evidence to equate improved leg strength to improve cycling performance". i would argue that this study is one piece of evidence that shows leg strength improves cycling performance. (a very specific type of cycling admittedly)

the point is the extra training was 'strength' training. loaded squats if understand the methods.

As you say in you first post " there is very little evidence to equate improved leg strength to improve cycling performance". i would argue that this study is one piece of evidence that shows leg strength improves cycling performance. (a very specific type of cycling admittedly)

It doesn't, because there is no evidence to show that the group would not have gone even better had they not focussed their additional sessions on cycle-specific training. Of course stressing the body causes an adaptation, but nothing in there suggests that weight training is more effective than the equivalent amount of cycling.

In any case, the entire study is based on a false premise that increased leg strength would promote cycling economy (ie be easier to pedal) - which is already demonstrated to be nonsense, given the relatively minimal pedal forces involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom