Winter tyres with Crud Roadracer MK2s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
Hi, I'm using 700x23c slick tyres and just fitted Roadracer mk2s, while I'm noticing the difference in weight I'm loving not having to put wet undies on on the evenings for my commute home.

However I'd like to change to a tyre with more grip on for the wet or icy conditions but I'm concerned that bigger tyres will rub on the guards as there is minimal clearance currently. Wondering if anyone had experience with this?

I'm riding a Felt F95 if that makes a difference.

Matt

MikeW-71

Veteran
What tyres are on at present? There isn't really a "winter tyre" as such, but I have Continental 4 Seasons on the winter bike. Their compound is very good in the wet and they are supposedly better when it's very cold that something like GP4000S.

Bear in mind that nothing grips on ice except studded tyres.

If you go bigger than 23mm, they will probably rub on the guards though.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
I think they're the Vittoria Zaffiro Slicks it came with. I'm assuming slicks aren't much good in wet and cold weather - other people may put me right?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Being slick doesn't matter, it's all about the rubber compound.

I've used some Vittoria Rubino Pro's and they are a nice tyre, but they didn't really like it when it was very cold and wet.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I've got Crud Roadracer 2's and run 700x23 tyres. Just tried the wheels from my other bike that have 700x25 tyres and they just about go without rubbing. They're a tight fit though!

Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Would advise against Marathon Plus, but it really depends on what clearance you have already. I have a Defy 5 with crud's, but I was desperate for puncture resistance, so opted for M+. As a result, I had to take the front guard off and thread the back guard over the brake caliper rather than under it, completely disregarding the tie and using a bit of garden string to hold it firmly in place against the seat post. Love the tyres mind, but if your priority is staying dry, you'll need a few extra mm of clearance than I have.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
I have the crudz with 23c conti' gator harshell's on a old Peugeot frame and there looks like in places it would clear but others would be tight.. I did conciser 25c's but worried I would have the same issues.. when I first got my tires I worried about grip but now I've worn them in they seem to stick like glue even with the wet and they're pretty much a slick all over. It would all depend on the frame shape and how much space you have with the 23c's your running.. Whats your clearance like now?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I just about managed to find a position for my front crud guard so that it doesn't rub on a 25c Conti Gator HardShell

Last edited:

RebornBumbler

I run Cruds on my Felt F85 with Michelin Pro4 Grip tyres and have some rubbing when on muddy/gritty roads - though not enough to concern me over tyre wear.

You'll probably get away with almost any 23 mm tyre - but forget moving to a 25 - the clearance just isn't there.

Top Bottom