Winter Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charliegirl

Hi All,

New girl to the forum.. just trying to find my way round, hope I'm in the right place... :hello:

I have a Trek 2.5 WSD road bike which I love dearly and would like to try to use all year.(Got through last winter on mountain bike) Looking for ideas/options/inspiration for winter tyres...

Had a look on Bontrager and few other sites. Really would like something that will give me sufficient amount of grip, but not slow me down too much. I know, want my cake and eat it.... but am a speed girl!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks muchly,
C

Schwalbe Durano+ :thumbsup:

Schwalbe Marathon :thumbsup:

Conti Gatorskin :thumbsup:

You can also get studded tyres, just depends how extreme you plan on being :biggrin:

Sleeper

+1 on schwalbe's! I don't think they've a single tyre in the range that isn't awesome! :smile:
Oh and welcome!! (I'm so bloody lazy I never get into the 'welcome mat' forum :sad: )

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Bontrager hardcases or (my preference if you can find them) Michelin Krylion Carbon.

Both are as puncture resistant as you could hope for, and both have decent wet weather grip (unlike the gatorskin) and speed, without weighing more than a small child - cough Marathon cough....

You dont need a tread, even in winter. It wont help with wet weather grip and bike tyres can't aquaplane at much less than 100 mph plus :smile:

As with anything though, there are limits, and when the snow/ice decends I get the MTB out for the commute.

OP
OP
C

Charliegirl

Hi All,

Thanks for the repsonses... a few good ideas here.

Was eyeing up the Bontrager tyres. Also had a look Schwalbe and gatorskin. Will have another lookey see and price them up.

Think will switch to MTB for those snowy/icy days.

Kestevan - Don't think my little legs can get me to 100!! :smile: In fact think planing would be least of worries at that speed.. prob die of fright first!! :laugh:

Thanks again all.

C

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi All,

Thanks for the repsonses... a few good ideas here.

Was eyeing up the Bontrager tyres. Also had a look Schwalbe and gatorskin. Will have another lookey see and price them up.

Think will switch to MTB for those snowy/icy days.

Kestevan - Don't think my little legs can get me to 100!! :smile: In fact think planing would be least of worries at that speed.. prob die of fright first!! :laugh:

Thanks again all.

C

The Bontys are cheap as chips:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-tyre-id40573.html

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Another Bonty fan.

2000 miles on my current set - 1 puncture at 1300 miles - broken beer glass.

As FF says, they're comparatively cheap.

vorsprung

Veteran
My summer bike has Bontrager Hardcase Racelite 25mm on it. The winter bike has 28mm Marathon Plus or if it is snowing 35mm Marathon Winter. As Kestevan says these sorts of tyres are quite heavy.

Tread is useful for better grip on leaves, mud, light snow etc. Slick tyres grip better wet or dry on clean roads.

There a bit heavy and have a low tpi but their cost is good :thumbsup: At the moment I'm running the wired Grand Prix, they are quite a bit lighter 270g and roll a fair bit better 180tpi and their p'ture resistance is good for me (they grip well, roll well and endure) but they are £22.50 from wiggle.

Top Bottom