Winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My Boardman is about to become an all weather commuter bike and general run-around. At the moment it is fitted with Campagnolo Zonda wheels that are just over a year/4500 miles old and have only been used in the dry or very light rain. Are these any good at resisting the worst of the British weather, or is it worth replacing them with something else for the winter? I have a set of new, unused Shimano RS11s available along with spare cassette, tyres, etc.

blazed

220lb+
Winter bikes are bad enough. Do people seriously have winter wheels? Why?

bpsmith

Veteran
Most people who have upgraded wheels, have the old set and use them as Winters. Those who have a Winter bike, have Winter wheels by the same logic.

blazed

220lb+
Salt. Ice. Mud.
And this causes a proportional amount of damage? I doubt it. Not only that but peoples 'summer' bikes are likely to be £1k+ made out of materials which are very resistant to salt. Mud is a year round thing and I'm not sure what the issue with ice is?

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
What is the extra cost of wear and tear during the winter?

Rim wear. The mix of grit and mud and salt on the brakes really eats through rims. I used to go through a set of rims every second year.

I'd leave the Zondas and put on a cheaper set. (or learn to build your own wheels - that's what I do)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Winter wheels on the main bike = the original supplied wheels.

The commuter bike has to make to with what it gets, which was a new set of Shimano R501's last week.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My winter wheels are on !

006_zps452b5052.jpg

No point in damaging the full carbon !

003_zps3fb88f49.jpg

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
OK - perhaps "winter wheels" is the wrong phrase - it's just quicker than typing "wheels for use when the weather and road conditions are likely to be at their worse"

I'm just after knowing how resistant the Zondas are to rain, road grit, etc as I'm tempted to leave them on.

edited to add: For the really bad conditions I do have a Kona Jake CX which will be used instead.

the snail

Guru
They will all wear if commuting daily. Use the cheaper set
I think it's down to the sort of rides you're doing - if it's shortish weekend rides then it's easier to avoid wet muddy conditions and to clean your rims/brake pads, so there's probably not going to be a lot more wear. But if you're riding every day in all conditions then the chances are higher that you will end up riding with gritty rims/pads, and you can wear out your rims in a very short time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just about to start using the subway disc for commuting and use the "commuter " for weekend/club runs .The nice bike has been put to bed for the winter .

I know my version of nice/expensive is less than a lot on here but its all relative .

bpsmith

Veteran
And this causes a proportional amount of damage? I doubt it. Not only that but peoples 'summer' bikes are likely to be £1k+ made out of materials which are very resistant to salt. Mud is a year round thing and I'm not sure what the issue with ice is?
Exactly what the others think too. ;)

Top Bottom