Wirral to Deeside help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I really enjoy getting the train up to the Wirral and cycling home via the old railway lines, its just one stretch that's with heavy traffic that I need to cut out and make the ride more pleasant.

I come down the west side of the Wirral, West Kirby to Neston, on to Burton then hit heavy traffic from Two Mills to Sealand where I meet up with National route 5 and on to Chester.

Anyone have a better route from Burton to Deeside, not fun on dual carriageways

subaqua

What’s the point
burton to puddington through to shotwick ( avoid shotwick hollow) follow the BOAT(byway open to all traffic) to the deeside industrial estate roundabout then use green lane to the old mickle trafford hawarden bridge line which is now a good cycle track,
2 options then
1 to chester along the old rail line
2 into N wales
folow the cycle track almost to hawarden bridge then cut back through Garden city to the blue bridge. avoids the nasty dual section from two mills to queensferry flyover.

will try to plot it as a GPX file for upload to garmin etc.

the routes in the area are far better than they were when i was growing up not far from there.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
do you live in Chester? I'm looking for a weekend cycling partner if you need someone to ride with

dodgy

That track from Shotwick to Deeside is what we know locally as Paris-Roubaix, it's quite rough but manageable even on a road bike. Just don't expect smooth surfaces :smile:

Edit, just saw the map, hmmm, that's using tracks that even I've never used and I ride around here all the time!

Further edit, that's a lot of effort to avoid roughly 1km of the A540.

subaqua

What’s the point
That track from Shotwick to Deeside is what we know locally as Paris-Roubaix, it's quite rough but manageable even on a road bike. Just don't expect smooth surfaces :smile:

Edit, just saw the map, hmmm, that's using tracks that even I've never used and I ride around here all the time!

Further edit, that's a lot of effort to avoid roughly 1km of the A540.

the A540 isn't the problem , its shotwick hollow, thats a mental road in a car. each to their own

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
http://www.mapometer.com/cycling/route_1969648.html you should be able to save the GPX file . you may need to create a mapometer account (free)

Can't thank you enough, those wagons got a bit close a few times near Two mills and this will make it a much more pleasant ride

Thanks again:thumbsup:

dodgy

the A540 isn't the problem , its shotwick hollow, thats a mental road in a car. each to their own

No need to ride down Shotwick hollow. the tracks you've linked to I'm not sure even exist IYSWIM. None of the local riders I know would choose that as an option anyway.

This is the way I would get from Burton to Deeside:

http://g.co/maps/yhcxv

Note the route crosses the A550, its a horse crossing that takes you onto the 'Green Lane' which is a 100% traffic free route for cyclists on perfect tarmac.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Cheers Dodgy:thumbsup:
I loaded the kml file to google earth and exported it to my garmin.

If I get a chance later in the week I'll try the routes^_^

dodgy

Yep, let us know how you get on, I have doubts that though they show up on Google, the tracks/roads are suitable as linked to by subaqua. If they are rideable, it will be a revelation for me as I ride around those roads 4 times a week and all my rides into Wales would benefit (every Sat and Sun).

subaqua

What’s the point
would need to check the definitive maps at the local town halls. OS maps have been updated over the weekend - now shows footpath and bridle way

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
http://www.mapometer.com/cycling/route_1969648.html you should be able to save the GPX file . you may need to create a mapometer account (free)

Day off today and weather was predicted to be okay, so thought I'd try the route.

Its as said very bumpy and after last nights rain a bit muddy, but okay if you follow the tractor trails. Came out opposite Starbucks drive thru, so saw this as an omen to stop and let the white knuckle subside:thumbsup:

Top Bottom