Wirral to Deeside help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

They were tarmaccing yesterday at about 10:30am between the Harp and Denhall, surprised to see them effectively render the pathway unusable over Easter holiday weekend.

They'd finished on the Harp stretch today (sunday afty) when I went through but you could see where bikes wheels had cut grooves in the fresh tar! I hope they are going to top dress it or it'll look awful!

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Yeah the workman was quite apologetic about them working but with the recent weather understandable, they probably have jobs to do elsewhere in the coming weeks and the powers that be might of been applying pressure for a finish.

Wonder if there's a tape cutting ceremony???

I've heard that a biking celebrity is being sought to do a tape cutting and that an official opening ceremony is unlikely to be before end May/early June, although the path will be legally open before then.

dodgy

Right, so now it's 'open', has it had any effect on your riding routes/habits? I went into Wales yesterday and it was nice to get to Flintshire without coming across any busy roads, even more so not to have to ride on any roads I'm overly familiar with (for that read bored - we aren't blessed with options getting off Wirral). On the way back of a 70 mile reasonably hilly ride, i was treated to almost 20 miles of completely traffic free path as I included the Wirral Way, if only the surface was as good as this new route. I don't bother with the bit between Denhall and the Harp, too many pedestrians.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
It will encourage myself to use the Wirral way more, now that we have easy access from this side of the border.
I quite often pop in and have a cuppa with my Mum in Buckley and used to be put off dropping down to Deeside and over to the Wirral. Might even explore the east Wirral a bit more now and do the circular route

lejogger

Guru
The Sunlight still used the usual 'never ending lane' route from the mills to Llangollen yesterday... I guess we may use the new path when heading out on a more westerly ride however.

BikeLiker

Right, so now it's 'open', has it had any effect on your riding routes/habits? I went into Wales yesterday and it was nice to get to Flintshire without coming across any busy roads, even more so not to have to ride on any roads I'm overly familiar with (for that read bored - we aren't blessed with options getting off Wirral). On the way back of a 70 mile reasonably hilly ride, i was treated to almost 20 miles of completely traffic free path as I included the Wirral Way, if only the surface was as good as this new route. I don't bother with the bit between Denhall and the Harp, too many pedestrians.
Makes a nice Chester loop - out through Willaston / missing link / Greenway and back along river and across marshes. And N Wales of course.

dodgy

Latest news is that due to an apparent need to retain a 'rustic look' to the path, it's about to be recovered with a light gravel set into bitumen.

No, I'm not making this up. Time will tell how smooth the new path is, but I don't see how it can not deteriorate in quality with a covering of even 'light' gravel. Apparently, Sustrans have been consulted and approved it, so if turns out bad....

Shame.

dodgy

Gravelling has started. A real shame.

BK31_MCCUAEoo_h.jpg

Top Bottom