Wirral to Deeside help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

The only negative thing I have to say is that there is at least one place where you have to get off your bike and carry bike over a gate (right at the junction of Denhall Lane and the red flag). The gate looks new, so this looks like it's here to stay. It's a kissing style gate, so not possible to ride through.

Rode past today and workers were removing this gate :smile:

I rode up to the boardwalk section and it's almost finished.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Went down to Burton point on Denhall lane and up the MOD road. Workmen working on the boardwalk and said there were lots of screw about due to the work and asked me not to use the new path :sad:

Anyone know the exact route the new route takes....on a map if possible :smile:

dodgy

The blue dotted line on here shows the route http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map

I also knocked this up to show the route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2181571 Note that when the route gets to the Dee, you can turn left into Chester, I just draw the route into Hawarden Bridge as that is a recognisable place in Wales.

PS - Was that one of you guys on the bike with bright orange jacket, taking photos just by the new gate by the range flag?

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Thanks for the maps Dodgy:thumbsup: I guess the signage isn't in place yet

It was just workmen there, about 11am this morning. Looks like it'll soon be open, I think the work signs said 15th April.

If i get chance Im going to have another look on Sunday when hopefully they'll be no workmen

dodgy

I rode it this morning, contractors have left a couple of gates laying on floor, obviously to dissuade people from using the boardwalk, but it's perfectly passable with care. I rode it through to Deeside then took Dee path into Chester to pick up rail tickets. 45 mile return journey by bike, probably at least 35 of it completely traffic free! I don't think the part that links Church Lane with Flint Drive is particularly useful, it's busy with pedestrians and dog walkers. Better just to head for Marshlands Road and join by the Harp instead.

BikeLiker

I rode it this morning, contractors have left a couple of gates laying on floor, obviously to dissuade people from using the boardwalk, but it's perfectly passable with care. I rode it through to Deeside then took Dee path into Chester to pick up rail tickets. 45 mile return journey by bike, probably at least 35 of it completely traffic free! I don't think the part that links Church Lane with Flint Drive is particularly useful, it's busy with pedestrians and dog walkers. Better just to head for Marshlands Road and join by the Harp instead.

Was that you in the red hat I saw going the other way - I asked if the path was open? I'm not too keen on that cattle grid at the end of the boardwalk section, otherwise it's a great job.

dodgy

Was that you in the red hat I saw going the other way - I asked if the path was open? I'm not too keen on that cattle grid at the end of the boardwalk section, otherwise it's a great job.
Nope, not me. I think the cattle grid is temporary, they removed a few strips of boardwalk to dissuade usage and I think the cattle grid is actually a piece of gate that someone has used to bridge the gap. Could be wrong though.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I cheated and got the train to Neston this morning then followed Dodgy's map on my gps.
Yeah its just a gate at the start of the boardwalk, you can see the planks to the side have nails in them from when they were taken up......excuse pic, its a still from my headcam

vlcsnap-2013-03-17-15h17m00s201_zps124201b9.png

Looks like the whole road from the red flag is getting resurfaced as Dodgy said, they've done lots since I was there on Wednesday.

30 miles in under 2hours coming back to Wrexham and half of it without a car to be seen :smile:

Muguruki

Living in Shotton and I've never been tempted to take a ride over to Wirral, I always head in the other direction to all the lumpy stuff but I guess now with this cycle path I've got no excuse.

BikeLiker

I cheated and got the train to Neston this morning then followed Dodgy's map on my gps.
Yeah its just a gate at the start of the boardwalk, you can see the planks to the side have nails in them from when they were taken up......excuse pic, its a still from my headcam

vlcsnap-2013-03-17-15h17m00s201_zps124201b9.png

Looks like the whole road from the red flag is getting resurfaced as Dodgy said, they've done lots since I was there on Wednesday.

30 miles in under 2hours coming back to Wrexham and half of it without a car to be seen :smile:

Definitely a cattle grid. Where the gap on the left is in the picture there is now a swing gate with solid boarding beneath it for animals to pass. The right hand side is left open across the cattle grid, presumably to contain the sheep. Makes for a bumpy passage on 23mm tyres, though.

dodgy

Yes I went through on Wednesday and the cattle grid on the right is now fixed in place. They've also put speed bumps on sections of the path where cars are allowed.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I guess a cattle grid is better than a style or kissing gate. Weather stopping me from getting down there this weekend

Top Bottom