Wirral to Deeside help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
Is this route officially opened yet? Was thinking of trying it this weekend.

Can someone show me a map of where it starts from in the Wirral, I know roughly where but would like to plan a route from Seacombe to it and try for traffic free, such as Wirral circular route or NCN route.

Thanks

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Dodgy's put some maps up on post 66. Snow up in North Wales is stopping still :sad:

Is this route officially opened yet? Was thinking of trying it this weekend.

Can someone show me a map of where it starts from in the Wirral, I know roughly where but would like to plan a route from Seacombe to it and try for traffic free, such as Wirral circular route or NCN route.

Thanks

I'm not sure it's officially open so I personally wouldn't antagonise the RSPB as they were so anti-path OK in the first place, they could get funny and grant limited access [1] The warden I spoke with recently ranted a lot!! and was very anti-bike (especially those checking during construction) so if he has any say in the access conditions we could be stuffed, he may only be a volunteer but could be the regional boss and so I'll wait just a couple more weeks until it access is official.

[1] if no weekend or wednesday access it would kill most CTC two mills group rides for example.

dodgy

I couldn't give a stuff about the RSPB, I'm not impressed at all with their attitude over the years. Yes it's a permissive path, but there's no way the RSPB could police a withdrawal of access. I really have no time for them. They reckon cyclists will disturb the wildlife, conveniently ignoring the fact there's a live firing range no more than 200 metres away.

Anyway, yes the route is open, albeit there hasn't been a ribbon cutting ceremony. Check out http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and select 'cycle map' in the layer menu top right. You'll see I've added the route (NCN568) there.

I couldn't give a stuff about the RSPB, I'm not impressed at all with their attitude over the years. Yes it's a permissive path, but there's no way the RSPB could police a withdrawal of access. I really have no time for them. They reckon cyclists will disturb the wildlife, conveniently ignoring the fact there's a live firing range no more than 200 metres away.

Anyway, yes the route is open, albeit there hasn't been a ribbon cutting ceremony. Check out http://www.openstreetmap.org/ and select 'cycle map' in the layer menu top right. You'll see I've added the route (NCN568) there.

Just because you've added it doesn't make it open!

What other laws and conventions do you ignore when 'you' think it doesn't apply to you, or are unlikely to be caught?

john59

Guru
I took a ride down there today and there were a few cyclists and walkers.
Firing-Range.jpg

Looking-towards-Wirral.jpg

Cattle-Grid-Looking-towards.jpg

Raised-Cycle-Path.jpg

Raised-path.jpg

View: http://youtu.be/uN5ZZMqrABY

John

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Dodgy by name etc :smile:
The plans have been agreed, the paths been built and people are using it now.One grumpy twitcher aint going to stop it now

headcoat

Über Member
Thanks for the info. I may pop along this weekend.

dodgy

Just because you've added it doesn't make it open!

What other laws and conventions do you ignore when 'you' think it doesn't apply to you, or are unlikely to be caught?

You may have respect for some job's worth RSPB warden, but I don't, particular one that has gone on record as being 'anti cyclist' (for whatever reason). We lost access to this route in 1992 because of the MOD, and it's partly the RSPB's fault that it took 21 years to get it back.

I will however show the utmost respect to dog walkers, pedestrians, children, other cyclists, but the RSPB can do one.

Well if it's not closed it's open. What does RSPB guy look like. I'd like to make sure I flick the v's at the right person?

Ignoring the 'walkers only' doesn't make it open.

As to 'The warden' ERM this is when we have trouble, as most RSPB people look like most tandem captains I've ever met, and every recumbenteers - so beard and sandals :-0

including the women ;-)

focus123

As for the RSPB I am a cyclist and a bird watcher. But I know how obstinate the RSPB can be, on the Welsh side of the Dee, there has been many problems trying to construct an offroad cycle path along the estuary. But a well constructed cycle path actually enhances the environment, as anyone who has used the connah's quay to chester path will know. The problem is with dog walkers who let there dogs run loose and disturb the birds.

Ignoring the 'walkers only' doesn't make it open.

As to 'The warden' ERM this is when we have trouble, as most RSPB people look like most tandem captains I've ever met, and every recumbenteers - so beard and sandals :-0

including the women ;-)

Is that what it says, Walkers only. Seems odd if it's all complete. Anyway, it'll be a few weeks before I get there, too cold :cold:

I look forward to it though. Might take my duck whistle when I finally ride it.

BikeLiker

Is that what it says, Walkers only. Seems odd if it's all complete. Anyway, it'll be a few weeks before I get there, too cold :cold:

I look forward to it though. Might take my duck whistle when I finally ride it.

It doesn't say anything. The stretch between Denhall and the Harp has a "Footpath closed" sign which is dutifully being disregarded by all comers on foot and cycle - funny that people think they should have access to a perfectly usable public path on a bank holiday weekend when no work is underway:dry: . There are no restrictions on the path from Denhall to Deeside.
The idea that the RSPB will be able to restrict the use of this path is laughable. The original road was built with public money across public land - I used to drive along it in the 1980s quite lawfully to get to Shotton Sailing Club and the only travesty is that it's taken this long to sort things out.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Watch out between Denhall lane and the Harp as their tarmacking there today (Easter Sunday :eek:, triple time:thumbsup:) Monday and should finished Tuesday, so said the workmen.

Burton Point to Shotton is finished apart from the cattle grid at the start of Burton point. All restrictive signage seems to have been removed :smile:

Top Bottom