Wirral to Deeside help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Brilliant news, its still one of my favorite rides and this section is the icing on the cake.

Train to Bidston a short cycle to Wallasey and a long ride home virtually car free ^_^^_^^_^

BikeLiker

Big update on this thread, from http://www.chestercyclecity.org/?p=823

Story is dated 11th October 2012.

Went for a nosey along this route on the way to Chester today on the MTB and it's coming on nicely. The only section incomplete is the "bypass" along the railway around the MOD bit. The MOD gates are open to allow plant and materials through so effectively the way to Chester is now clear. The path between Little Neston - The Harp - and the bottom of Denhall Lane is also being resurfaced with boring tarmac and is currently closed.

IMAG0146_zps6af341c0.jpg

Entrance to new section on Deeside side of A548

IMAG0148_zps148d25e1.jpg

Exiting A548 underpass looking toward Burton

IMAG0152_zps1047751f.jpg

Start of MOD "Bypass" heading towards Burton. Old track has been resurfaced along entire length.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I cycle sometimes with an older friend who is so aching to do this ride he's bouncing with joy that this is finally coming into place.
Please as soon as it open please post or mesasge so I can take him up there ^_^

dodgy

So would you say it's now possible to ride from Burton to Deeside on a road bike? I'm not bothered about the bit connecting the Harp.

BikeLiker

So would you say it's now possible to ride from Burton to Deeside on a road bike? I'm not bothered about the bit connecting the Harp.
Yes, the bit between Denhall and Burton point isn't the best of roads oat the moment, but not the worst either. Better than the missing link, certainly.

dodgy

Yes, the bit between Denhall and Burton point isn't the best of roads oat the moment, but not the worst either. Better than the missing link, certainly.

Funny enough I just went down there while you typed that out, I couldn't see a way of getting across this lot to the workers in the distance. The track to the left you can see is on unfinished boardwalk, and the track to the right I have no idea where it goes. But I know the new track goes alongside the railway, which is where the workers are in the distance. There didn't seem any way of getting there that didn't involve going over lots of mud.

denhall.jpg

BikeLiker

Funny enough I just went down there while you typed that out, I couldn't see a way of getting across this lot to the workers in the distance. The track to the left you can see is on unfinished boardwalk, and the track to the right I have no idea where it goes. But I know the new track goes alongside the railway, which is where the workers are in the distance. There didn't seem any way of getting there that didn't involve going over lots of mud.

denhall.jpg

The track to the right was open yesterday and leads to the A548 via the MoD compound which was also open.That's the way I went. Maybe they've locked up after my temerity at jumping the gun, though I wasn't alone - I saw 2 other cyclists using the path.

dodgy

Aha, makes sense. I'm really looking forward to this opening, it's a game changer for local cyclists. Though the stretch from Denhall Lane to where the picture was taken above is quite rough track, I wonder if they intend to resurface it? It's fairly broken up.

I went along for a nosey today and the gates are locked (usual) so no legal access, the path is still being constructed on the wetlands section, and a long way from complete looking across from the RSPB centre with a handily provided telescope :-) The permissive permissions have not yet been granted according to the warden at RSPB centre, he was rather anti-cycle and said 'cyclists are still trying it on' even though the gates are locked, the range flags are flying, and works warnings posted! Please don't try and use it until officially open would be my reccomendation.
The road from the point to the Harp is mostly rubble having been skimmed, but the contractors are laying lots of tarmac, and I think that this section will be finished this week! I reckon another month at least to finish, not sure when the official opening is - by Easter was the plan.

dodgy

the range flags are flying

I can honestly never remember one single time that those range flags have NOT been flying at the junction of Denhall lane and the permissive path. They simply never reflect what is going on at the range! I'm aware of what the red flag is for (17 years in the forces), I'm pretty sure they just leave it up all the time.

BikeLiker

I went along for a nosey today and the gates are locked (usual) so no legal access, the path is still being constructed on the wetlands section, and a long way from complete looking across from the RSPB centre with a handily provided telescope :-) The permissive permissions have not yet been granted according to the warden at RSPB centre, he was rather anti-cycle and said 'cyclists are still trying it on' even though the gates are locked, the range flags are flying, and works warnings posted! Please don't try and use it until officially open would be my reccomendation.

No sure if you're intending to question the truth of my post but it reads like you are to me. The gates were wide open yesterday and there were no signs anywhere suggesting entry was restricted, only that work was underway. Neither did any of the workers question my presence there.

No sure if you're intending to question the truth of my post but it reads like you are to me. The gates were wide open yesterday and there were no signs anywhere suggesting entry was restricted, only that work was underway. Neither did any of the workers question my presence there.

I'm not questioning your post in any way, just reporting what I saw there today and what some of the interested parties had to say!

dodgy

They're making great progress. Went up today and the boardwalk I would say is 80% complete. And like others have said, where there is new tarmac it's as smooth as silk, and I'm told by the contractors that wherever there is scrubby track, they will be laying fresh tarmac over it.

The only negative thing I have to say is that there is at least one place where you have to get off your bike and carry bike over a gate (right at the junction of Denhall Lane and the red flag). The gate looks new, so this looks like it's here to stay. It's a kissing style gate, so not possible to ride through.

Contractors tell me it will be 100% rideable by early next week :smile:

Top Bottom