Wobbly, self esteem crippling back wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biglad

How do guys,

I've been riding since about march. Mostly commuting to work and the occasional ride round the park by where I live. It's mega. However, at 21/22 stone, my poor bike feels some occasional strain. A few months back I was trying to be a smart a**e and make it to the top of this hill in the city centre when I pushed down too hard on my right pedal and it seemed to just melt off the...thingy that its attached too. I told myself for a while that its not because I'm a fat mess, but rather than I'm just a powerhouse, with strength that can not be matched by mere mortal bikes. That didn't last long though.

Anyway, today on my way home from work I rode about 12ft, when all of a sudden my bike started wobbling. Somehow the back wheel has come loose. Not loose from the nuts that attach it to the frame, loose in a way that I don't really understand. It wobbles really violently even though its tightly attached to the frame. Also, I suspect this is related, when I look at the wheel I can see the bearings close to where the spokes are.

From such a lacklustre description, can anyone help me out with what the issue might be? It's really frustrated me, as now I have to get the 80 into town tomorrow instead of riding my bike. Its a truly terrifying bus. One time this guy sat next to me and kept telling me I was ugly, then told me who else on the bus was ugly. Another time, a guy told me that he was going to murder all of my children even though I don't have any.

Many thanks in advance guys.

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds like a broken axle.

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

Sure thing man, I'll throw up some photographs of it when I head out this evening so will update when I get in later tonight. I was thinking of heading over to the LBS I bought it from tomorrow with the wheel. When I had my pedal issue I called them up and they were absolute stars about it so I'm not anticipating any hastle in that department. Photographs to follow and many thanks for the swift and informative responses guys.

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

Heres an image of the wheel I caught earlier this afternoon, its notthe best, but the bearings are visible just next to the spokes:

Bike.jpg

OP
OP
biglad

biglad

Yeah I definitely wont be riding on it, gave me a right scare when it started wobbling all over the place! I'll be taking the wheel over to the LBS in the morning to see if they can sort it out. Thanks for the help there MadCyclist, its much appreciated chap.

Top Bottom