Woman sets 147mph paced cycling record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bet that wind shield sucks up some salt dust in the vortex, not to mention the exhaust fumes from the Rangie; it must be a horrible environment in which to exert yourself.

J1888

Über Member
Blimey. My record is a mere 145mph

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Small wheels to lower the centre of gravity apparently, with gearing allowing 130 feet per revolution of the pedals (according to the website)!

Drago

Legendary Member
It is cheating somewhat when drafting a V8 tower block. In no other sporting endeavour is the competitors biggest obstacle conveniently removed when setting records. I'm impressed at her pluck and effort, but not at the methodology used in these attempts.

rrarider

Veteran
Not bad as an attempt, but 20mph short of Fred Rompelberg's world record. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rompelberg

MikeG

Guru
It is cheating somewhat when drafting a V8 tower block.......

Exactly, which is why I was certain that these records had all be expunged from the lists, and drafting disallowed. I thought that speed records were now either set outside on a flat course with no drafting, or inside on a turbo.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5374100, member: 9609"]Would it would be possible to create the aerodynamics of the lead vehicle so as the cyclist does not even need to pedal ?[/QUOTE]Very interesting question, I think if you added aerodynamics to the lead car & then matching appendages to the bike/rider I suspect it would be possible, tow up to speed, drop the tow & allow the aero to do all the work. Would be a fantastic experiment

classic33

Leg End Member
Very interesting question, I think if you added aerodynamics to the lead car & then matching appendages to the bike/rider I suspect it would be possible, tow up to speed, drop the tow & allow the aero to do all the work. Would be a fantastic experiment
There's a small area behind the vehicle in which you'd be safe. Stray outside of that and aerodynamic drag will stop you dead.

D

Deleted member 26715

There's a small area behind the vehicle in which you'd be safe. Stray outside of that and aerodynamic drag will stop you dead.
Yep, you'd have to extend the 'bubble' from the tow vehicle by added aero, then add something to the bike to use this, but the issue may then be that the added aero would make it impossible for the tow vehicle to get up to a decent speed to make the 'bubble' work. We need to get Adrian Newey involved.

Top Bottom