Woman sets 147mph paced cycling record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Loved that episode, Guy Martin turns up in his van, his mechanic had driven overnight from Ireland (I think) that was their full commitment of crew they both worked on the bike. Coulthard turned up in his Aston Martin to be greeted by his 24 mechanics & technicians, he didn't touch the car until he got into it to drive.

D

Deleted member 26715

Im aiming to break the 2 hour record for the marathon. The only aid I will be using js the bus.
Do you mean you've got to be able to eat a Snicker in under 2 hours whilst sat on a bus?

mustang1

Guru
It is cheating somewhat when drafting a V8 tower block. In no other sporting endeavour is the competitors biggest obstacle conveniently removed when setting records. I'm impressed at her pluck and effort, but not at the methodology used in these attempts.

I agree. Going 150mph on a bike itself is frightening/skillful, but doing it behind a windbreaker kind of defeats the purpose. At his rate, I bet a V8 Dodge Viper could return 200mpg while traveling at 150mph behind a Range Rover in an almost-vacuum.

D

Deleted member 26715

So that's what all those Audi's & BMW's are trying to to do on the outside lane of a motorway they are trying to decrease their fuel consumption. But seriously kudos to her for riding a cycle at 147mph that has to be a skill in itself.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I would not like the job of trying to drive a car of that weight at 150mph on soft salt ,,

Drago

Legendary Member
Going 150mph on a push bike is not just frightening/skilful. It's physically impossible.

You can read more about the history of motor paced records here. There's are interesting photos of Jose Meiffret and his ludicrous chainring in this thread and there's footage of Meiffret on youtube if you look for it. Going further back Mile-a-minute-Murphy is another interesting character. You could argue that cycling 500+ km from Bordeaux to Paris behind a windbreaker defeats the purpose but Jaques Anquetil and a host of other greats didn't think so. Paul Kimmage gave an account of riding in one of the last ever motorpaced Bordeaux Paris races in his book "Rough Ride".

I know that motorpaced riding isn't very popular these days, outside of the velodrome at least, but it has a long and interesting history.

Clarke's first law - When an elderly but distinguished scientist says something is possible he is almost certainly correct.

Clarke's second law - When an elderly but distinguished scientist says something is impossible, he is almost certainly wrong.

Never say never. After all, the sound barrier being an impossible target is within living memory...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You could argue that cycling 500+ km from Bordeaux to Paris behind a windbreaker defeats the purpose but Jaques Anquetil and a host of other greats didn't think so
Chris Froome has won several coloured jerseys by cycling six times the distance behind a windbreak and then popping out for the odd 100k.

Top Bottom