Wondering whether to make the switch to SPD-SL pedals and road shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
If you get on with them, cool. Those were the pedls which put me off single sided completely!
As I said, the single sided part can be a bit of a pain, they always seem to drop clip side down, assume it's the extra weight, and the other side is looking quite worn after only a few months, but I do prefer them to the 520's overall.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I switched to some of these recently. I was the same, considering trying full road pedals but that would have meant getting new shoes as well and as my wide fit Lakes are great, I didn't really want to. I looked around and came across these, a slightly bigger footbed giving a bit more power and comfort. The only drawback is they are single sided, but other than they, I love em.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-es600-spd-pedals
^^This^^

pjd57

Veteran

I bought these after reading about them on here.
I wear Giro MTB shoes with flat pedals.
Really like them. I thought about being clipped in but wasn't reassured by people telling me you only come off once or twice.

Ok when you're younger and just bounce up again

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was always a Look user (similar to SPD-SL). But my MTB's and commuter bike were SPD due to being more convenient (especially commuter). Single sided road pedals are a little trickier to get into, but I preferred them at the time. I'm mainly MTB but still have the road bikes - one on a turbo, and I do like the loud 'bang' I get clipping in/out. They are more secure if you fancy a sprint.

But I did many many miles commuting on SPD without issue. On a nice road bike SPD's are ugly.

Super flash road bike, has to be super flash road pedals for me. My commuter road bike was SPD and didn't regret that choise.

Difficult decision.

boydj

Legendary Member
I tried SLs and couldn't get used to single-sided after spending years commuting on Speedplay Frogs. I took the plunge on full roadie with Speedplay Zeroes in a moment of madness. They're ok, but there are minimal benefits once you're on the move.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was always a Look user (similar to SPD-SL). But my MTB's and commuter bike were SPD due to being more convenient (especially commuter). Single sided road pedals are a little trickier to get into, but I preferred them at the time. I'm mainly MTB but still have the road bikes - one on a turbo, and I do like the loud 'bang' I get clipping in/out. They are more secure if you fancy a sprint.

But I did many many miles commuting on SPD without issue. On a nice road bike SPD's are ugly.

Super flash road bike, has to be super flash road pedals for me. My commuter road bike was SPD and didn't regret that choise.

Difficult decision.
Another reason why I might go for the Shimano PD-ES600 SPD pedals, they look a lot prettier than standard SPDs and if you didn't look too closely you might think they were road pedals, but I still keep the functionality of SPDs and don't have to fork out for new shoes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another reason why I might go for the Shimano PD-ES600 SPD pedals, they look a lot prettier than standard SPDs and if you didn't look too closely you might think they were road pedals, but I still keep the functionality of SPDs and don't have to fork out for new shoes.

Exactly. Do it.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've heard talk that proper roadies look down on people who use SPDs, but that's definitely not everyone. I've been in a road cycling club for years, and never had any negative comments about me using SPDs and mtb shoes.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I cant imagine the SL's will give that much of an improvement, I've certainly never been convinced enough to make the swap. Shimano PD-A600 pedals are worth a look - I use these on all my road bikes. The extra platform at the back shifts the weight so they tend to hang nose-up rather than upside down. This makes clipping in relatively straight forward and also increases the support area still further. Other than that I think theyre very similar to the es600's

Milzy

Guru
After using SL for a few years I've found an efficient smoothness. However there's reports from people like Dylan Johnson that says using flats and been clipped in produces the same amount of power.
Do what ever works for you. It's a shame road cycling is full of snobbery & marketing B.S.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've heard talk that proper roadies look down on people who use SPDs, but that's definitely not everyone. I've been in a road cycling club for years, and never had any negative comments about me using SPDs and mtb shoes.
I don't know what a proper roadie is, but I would imagine that he or she wouldn't give a stuff regarding which pedal choice someone else made*

*Partly as it would be hard to tell while moving, partly as there may be underlying confidence or physical issues.

** A gentleman I ride with uses flats only as he has fused ankles

Mr Celine

Discordian
Ask your directeur sportif or your team's equipment supplier about the performance gains. If you aren't fast enough to have either a DS or an equipment supplier you aren't fast enough to notice a difference.

Having said that, my road bike has SPD-SL and my winter/commuter has double sided SPD. I find the single sided SLs much easier to clip into because they are weighted to always hang at the same angle no matter where the crank is whereas the SPDs rotate with the crank.

I don't walk anywhere when I'm on the road bike and on the quiet empty roads round here I can ride for 40 miles without stopping, far less unclipping. But when I take the road bike on holiday I might want to walk somewhere so I swop the pedals over to SPD.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For 20+ years I rode with 520s and Lake shoes as this gave me the shoe width and ease of walking I wanted.

This spring I decided to change to both a road shoe and boot. It took some effort to find some which are a good fit but it was worth it. The benefits:
  • Wider range
  • Stiffer soles
  • Look better
I've noticed no difference in walking in these and can't say they have contributed to any huge performance improvement.

I would say the foot slipping is probably to do with technique. It should be almost automatic. From all the clicking I hear around me SPDs are generally easier to clip in.

You've made reference to "proper roadies" please don't let anyone decry your choice of kit, shoe, bike, riding style etc. Do what is right for you. As for "proper roadies?" No such thing and ignore anyone who believes he/she is a "proper roadie."

Top Bottom