Wool,80% wool,polypropylene or nylon carpet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I need a carpet for the flat i'm moving into. I have a choice of the above four materials. Not to beat about the bush,wool is about 20 quid a square meter,the 80% wool/man made one is about 15 quid, while polypropylene and nylon are about 10 quid a square meter. I've been quoted £635 for the whole flat if i go with the polypropylene option. I'm thinking about "spending big" and going with wool, as i just like the thought of a natural material and i remember as a child that nice new carpet smell you only got/get with wool. I have to remember though that it's not my flat,so i'd be spending quite a bit of money on someone else's property. Also,i don't know whether to have the stairs leading up to the flat carpeted? I'm thinking of my dog walking muck in and people walking it in off their shoes. I could just paint the stairs floor with floor paint,though i've been told that a carpet would make it warmer on the stairs area. I've been reading this site https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/967838-Wool-or-polypropylene-carpets. According to some wool isn't as easy to clean and attracts moths and other insects,while man made carpets aren't as comfy under foot and fade after a while. I'd like to hear about your experiences with your choice of carpets. I have to let the shop and fitters know ASAP,as they'll be coming on Friday to fit the thing. Would you spend more than you have to on something for someone else's property and do you think wool is an unnecessary expense?
Thanks for any replies! I wont be able to reply back for a while as i'm off soon to continue my painting.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Natural for me - what's in the other 20% of the wool one? Although for a high traffic place to live like a flat I would opt for a solid floor with nice quality big rugs. I have had watering eyes and headaches from PolyProp carpets that are new so probably not the best person to ask.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I used to work in the carpet manufacturing industry for a number of years so can comment with some experience.
Wool has a number of qualities including, warmth, good insulation and a pleasant feel but it is not very hard wearing by itself so 20% nylon is usually added to give it strength. I imagine you are being quoted for a ‘twist pile’ carpet, a curly type of finish, a smooth or velvet pike would be much more expensive. All wool for carpets is treated for moths at the spinning/dyeing stage. Nylon is a very tough fibre which I’m sure you know but is rather harsh to handle and can generate static in dry centrally heated environments. Polypropylene is a cheap but very tough fibre which will probably never wear out but will start to look rather shabby after a short while. It’s the stuff your un breakable washing line is made from. We used to say it would ‘ugly out’ not wear out. It was originally used in car carpets, it won’t generate static, nor will wool unless the air is very dry and the carpet new. Polypropylene also comes in a velvet smooth finish but will flatten very quickly. It will not stain as the fibre is non absorbent. Nylon is quite stain resistant. Both will melt if you drop a match or leave a hot iron on it, of course wool won’t. Wool/nylon mix will stain if you drop something like beetroot juice on it but clean well from everyday dirt.
I’d go for the wool/nylon 80/20% mix. The price sounds good. Check the gap between the floor and skirting board, if there’s much of a gap air borne dirt from the cavity wall will make the edges of the carpet black. You can do this yourself by sealing with a mastic gun. If you want a softer more luxurious feel buy a better quality rubber or foam underlay.
Only you know if the more expensive option is worth it. You can save money by uplifting the old carpet and underlay and disposing of it yourself, all firms will charge for this.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
the carpet place on the roundabout in Rawtenstall does roll ends for good prices my OH's mum gets all her carpets there why don't you take a look.

D

Deleted member 26715

Wood laminate. Dog proof, you see.
100% in agreement

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Axminster.

It does have its fans.

Brucey.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Wooden floors for me. Dog proof, bomb proof, timeless, and classical. Easy to clean, and will look good forever. It's a win win situation as far as i am concerned. I need to change the carpet in my living room, and wooden flooring will be what i go for. I had wooden flooring in Brum and loved it, and once down, you never need to even think of changing it.:okay:

Top Bottom