Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Some white teenagers in Birmingham now have British Asian accents. Even British Asian accents have come into existence in my lifetime.

I love how language evolves, and morphs, and different groups and cultures will take on, or preserve, their own dialect.

I really don't think there's much risk of us all ending up sounding the same.

I'm a dreadful mimic so will pick up accents as a matter of course.

Makes a change from my boring old RP voice.

I just hope no one thinks I'm taking the p*ss when that happens, though :angel:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My recent colon cancer screening kit from the NHS referred to the item under test as "poo" throughout the instructions. Mercifully, they didn't refer to "sitting on the potty".

I wonder if they had a few mystified calls from people who didn't know what faeces, or stool meant, and so just had to settle for a term which although childish, isn't offensive, and which pretty much everyone has come across.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wonder if they had a few mystified calls from people who didn't know what faeces, or stool meant, and so just had to settle for a term which although childish, isn't offensive, and which pretty much everyone has come across.
Yes, of course they did, but they could have put it in adult language too and not infantilise people.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, of course they did, but they could have put it in adult language too and not infantilise people.

It's always going to be a tricky subject to get the tone just right on, isn't it?
"Flex", as in "flex the rules". What's wrong with "bend"? Bend has worked for decades. Does flex add any meaning at all?

Plonkers.

I'm seeing flex more often used as a term for showing off, atm .

Either physically or materially or even intellectually.

If someone tries to act all superior they're often accused of *flexing*

... Idiots :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm seeing flex more often used as a term for showing off, atm .

Either physically or materially or even intellectually.

That's hardly a new usage.

saints-defense-is-flexing-muscle-5.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
'optic' or 'optics' has popped up a lot recently, as in 'he did it for the optics' (possibly for effect/appearance, or something). Haven't quite worked out what it means yet, for me it's still a device for measuring out spirtis from inverted bottles in a pub.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Can you speak to that, Fnaar?" (in work meetings)

No, I can speak ABOUT it, but not TO it. It isn't a living, conscious entity, it is an idea, a concept, or an issue we are discussing. As such, it has no ability to comprehend my words, so me speaking TO it would be utterly pointelss. As is this meeting. I hate you all. I resign. Goodbye! :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I agree, however when you're dealing with a childish sense of humour it's possible to go too far the other way and be so proper and adult that it causes unintentional mirth.
When I joined the forces at 18, part of the NBC (chem / bio warfare) training covered "defecation drills". (In plain English, going for a cr*p). We were told how to decontaminate parts of the suit, doff it, defecate, decontaminate, and don the trousers again. Some of the young men and women had not been subjected to doffing, donning and defecating before, but not to worry... Every leisure time visit to the loo from that point on was referred to as "going to carry out the defecation drill", and young men on nights out would occasionally have to "doff undercrackers due to defecation contamination" issues.

I have no doubt whatsoever that @Drago still has the words "defecation drill" burned into his poor old brain.

Top Bottom