Work ‘personal goals’ - Stretch target....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
See FF, look at all these people reaching out to you.

All you need is a bit of blue sky thinking, actually is that still part of management bullspeak, or has it been replaced by some other utter bollocks phrase?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's all L.OB. and exists only to give something for HR to do.

Human talent and capacity for learning and/pr attainment is finite, as is the requirements of any particular job role, so why the need to keep attempting to push a notional boundary? I can stretch all I like, I ain't never going to play my bass like Jaco.

We had a similar thing in the police and if you hit the target you'd qualify for an SPP payment, a couple of grand extra. Once they binned that a load of us stopped playing the game - by law they had to make an 'assumption of competence' unless there was evidence to the contrary, so they couldn't penalise us for not stretching.

No penalty for not doing so, no longer any incentive to do so, so hordes of us did simply did not do so.

Time for retirement Foodie before all this happy clap bollards breaks your brain for good. Tell the peace hippies that youve spoken to the stakeholders and after consultation have placed the idea on the back burner in readiness for any opportunity to grab the low hanging fruit, because you don't have the bandwidth to get all your ducks in a row year after year. That should validate your position and square the circle for them.

Last edited:
This sort of thing is what made me go self-employed in my 50s. I realised if I stayed in my job I would have been on the receiving end of jargonised crap like this for the next 10-15 years. To make things worse I actually had to ask people to do the same and pretend I believed in it.

In some companies you can fight against this sort of thing but in others, if you want to stay, you have to play the system until the next new thing takes over.

irw

Quadricyclist
I’m going to put down CEO and work from there....That is unless CC peeps have any better ideas....

Here's a step by step guide:
1. Sit at your desk (or wherever you like to call your place of work)
2. Reach out in front of you, then move your arms out into a scarecrow pose.
3. Choose any object you can see that is beyond the arc that your arms make, but that could conceivably be within your grasp if you made a bit more effort. There's your new stretch target... ;)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Here's a step by step guide:
1. Sit at your desk (or wherever you like to call your place of work)
2. Reach out in front of you, then move your arms out into a scarecrow pose.
3. Choose any object you can see that is beyond the arc that your arms make, but that could conceivably be within your grasp if you made a bit more effort. There's your new stretch target... ;)
I think I’m going to try and lick my elbow....

Top Bottom