Work ‘personal goals’ - Stretch target....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
My employers have decided to "Job plan" me for the first time in 20 years. I look forward to the half a million quid they owe me...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why oh why do we put up with this endless crap...

The admin associated with employment is both tedious and time consuming. I tend to lift and shift my 'development' goals from last year. Just swap a few words around.

It's no different from the company communicating its objectives every year. It's the same dross with fresh buzzwords.

It's nothing more than being seen to be doing something.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Our Executive is finding it difficult to motivate the troops at the moment on account of a couple of years of SMART objectives have resulted in no pay rises or bonuses for anyone, even where they've hit stretch. So when they've asked us all to start thinking of this year's objectives the key question being asked of them is what do we get for going the extra mile, and all that? The (unsaid) answer would seem to be, you get to keep your job. But as quite a few (good, experienced, valuable) people are leaving anyway and recruitment of good replacements is proving difficult even that doesn't hold much water.

Duc gas

Über Member
If it is not a S.M.A.R.T. target then it won’t be valid.
Oh I so don’t miss this bullshyte! I even had to set my own targets and review them at the end of the year stating how well/ badly I had done ( usually took/ wasted half a day on each occasion just writing absolute bunkum)This was reviewed by my higher management team meeting called the bunfight at the end of the year to decide where any bonus pot money went. What got me was my bonus targets were totally irrelevant to how they waned our team s of engineers to perform and there bonus targets!
specific
measurable
achievable
relevant
timely
if my memory serves me right??

matiz

Guru
I'm just glad I spent my working life on building sites the only stretch targets we ever had was when the scaffolding was late turning up.

Surely the only target you should set is a 50% pay rise. It ticks all the boxes and if you don't achieve it it's management's fault for being intransigent.

We had this 30 years ago. Next year's targets were set for us and would be stretched versions of this year's. We made sure we achieved this year's targets but no more. How we did it was probably dubious, but if we met our target then the bosses made theirs and everyone was happy.
Two can play the target game.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's all very much a paper exercise at work now. It was a complete shambles in our Department for years, no-one came up with any targets we could achieve, and made the lot up. The management took no notice.

Things move at a pace so the new Director does read them, so I seem to have come up with a decent appraisal that the managers like - I hardly change it year on year now ! :whistle: We don't get pay rises, nor any sort of bonus or salary incentives, so what really is the point. We don't even have 'career paths'.

I'm here for the pension and holidays ! And to do a good job. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not having performance appraisals (or having to do them for others) is a very big reason why I continue to be resistant getting back into permanent employment!

Top Bottom