Work from home set-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been Wah on and off since going freelance about 5 years ago, a couple of past contracts have been more office based, but mostly I’m 3-4 days at home (I try to work 4 days a week out of choice)
The fancy laptop stand has been a great purchase compared to an old Amazon box :laugh:
Paper pile needs sorting and shredding!

Last edited:
Love the bike wallpaper

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This is mine. Electric stand up desk is crucial for me and my historically dodgy back. It was an absolute bargain from Amazon. At work I am a 3 monitor person, and I still do that occasionally now if I pop the laptop open, but most of the time I stick with just 2. I use a Jabra conference speaker as I spend a lot of time on video calls and a headset gives me a headache. The heater under the desk is a little luxury as I don't heat the rest of the house just this room. Next purchase will be a heated throw/blanket for when it gets really cold. I have retained my desk at the office, but I suspect that I will never go back except to clear my stuff as we will probably close it.

20201006_073407626_iOS.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do know we have a lot of younger staff that are WFH within in small flats or their rooms in their parent's homes. Stories of having a laptop on a coffee table, ironing board, or sitting in bed - something that needs addressing, as I was speaking to a senior member of staff earlier that is expecting further announcements about Manchester, possibly today, and she said, don't even think about coming in (the office being in Manchester).

dodgy

Seems logical that longer term, those that can work from home do so after having a proper assessment, leaving more room in physical offices that need to be there. I do wonder about the younger generation, they need more coaching and benefit from being around the more experienced.
I'd have given up work long ago if I had to go into an office, it's why I've stayed working.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do know we have a lot of younger staff that are WFH within in small flats or their rooms in their parent's homes. Stories of having a laptop on a coffee table, ironing board, or sitting in bed - something that needs addressing, as I was speaking to a senior member of staff earlier that is expecting further announcements about Manchester, possibly today, and she said, don't even think about coming in (the office being in Manchester).
Our large London office is open with lots of Covid-safe measures in place. While people aren't being encouraged to go in, it's been made very clear that if they would like to for practical reasons or their mental health, they are welcome to do so. The senior team up to the CEO are also maintaining an office presence. We have grads starting this week, must be weird for them (although having mostly previously been interns, they have met people face-to-face)

fossyant

Slight upgrade, second hand screen (to match existing one - OCD) and a USB 3 Thinkpad docking station off ebay (docking station is hidden away under the desk).

Oh and the portable speakers that were spare in the garage.

rivers

How far can I go?
Our box room is currently my office, turbo room/bike store and guest room. I'm working from home 1-2 days/week at the minute and on campus supporting students the rest of the week. My desk with monitors, stand, and keyboard/mouse is underneath the loft bed. Although, one of my bikes and turbo set-up has currently been turfed out due to my wife's younger sister staying at ours for a few days.

fossyant

Just had a senior colleague threaten to steal my shed - he is very jealous - I mentioned I was running three screens (work off an email, putting costings into another screen, whilst in a teams meeting on the other). He and his wife are working from home but they have a house in the centre of Chester (and I mean in the centre) and it's tiny - he's working from the kitchen on a small laptop screen. His back yard doesn't have enough room for a shed.

I have a lot of colleagues working from flats without any spare space.:sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't indulge in this work malarkey, but its interesting to see peoples home set ups. Some of them are very smart. Not a good time to be a commercial estate agent - the days of office space at hundreds of pounds per square foot are quickly disappearing now firms can see that people do work well from home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom