Work from home set-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As the covid is still around and will be for quite some time, who is currently working from home? how do you feel about it? and what's your set-up

Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm in the corner of my wife's office, about to give a live lecture. Having had a melt-down when someone in a meeting read out the books behind me - I was facing her bookcase / stationary cupboard - we've re-jigged everything to look more professional. It's meant having better broadband installed (fibre optic 900MB), new PowerLine network connections, an expensive camera and headset - all of which I'll have to reclaim myself.

Student view-ish with the camera on a monitor, except there's a painting above me. Note the subject-related matter only, except the 'long distance cyclists handbook' in one corner:

IMG_20201005_150114.jpg

Last edited:
At the start of home working my work laptop wouldnt talk to the work printer. I tried everything to get them talking but gave up an take my laptop to the printer and plug in the usb cable.
I keep it that way to enforce some mobility during the day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been doing my own thing on computers at home for years so that hasn't changed.

I feel very happy about not having to work with other people. I would rather choose who I interact with than have random strangers imposed on me by others who are in a position of power over me. Forum rides are excellent for my mental health, office environments were extremely damaging!

I used to sit at a desk at home but my DVT-damaged left leg put a stop to that. I haven't been able to sit at a desk (or a table) for more than about 15 minutes at a time in the past 8 years and that will never get better***. This is my computer work environment now... (laptop on a lap tray which has a comfy beanbag on its underside, legs up on a footstool, mouse on armrest of sofa). The laptop is powerful enough to do most of what I need to do.

(Yes, I was on CycleChat when I took the photo! :laugh:)

I'm sorry for anybody who has suffered due to Covid-19, but (so far) my only personal negative has been not being/feeling free to do forum rides.

*** I hope to find/make a reclining office chair with a footrest that enables me to mimic my current working position, only back at my desk. I would like to use a big monitor again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I logged a query with IT to enable me to use my home printer - everything is locked out. This took over a month before they got back to me, they logged in, and let me press the install button on the software. All works nicely from the shed.

I'm sat on a dining chair ! I have an expensive chair at work for my back. Needs must.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I logged a query with IT to enable me to use my home printer - everything is locked out. This took over a month before they got back to me, they logged in, and let me press the install button on the software. All works nicely from the shed.

I'm sat on a dining chair ! I have an expensive chair at work for my back. Needs must.
wont work let you collect the chair and use it at home - that's what we have done for people who have specific chairs

figbat

Slippery scientist
We were first sent home in March - my wife and I work for the same company and on the way out of the office we snagged as much equipment as we could fit in the car: monitors, keyboards, port replicators and, crucially, our office chairs. We initially set up on the dining table, which is in our open-plan living/dining/kitchen space. This worked well enough for a while but we had originally assumed it was a temporary arrangement. The problem was that it was always there, in our family space, through evening and weekends, stealing space from our table and constantly nagging us. A few weeks ago we were told not to expect to return to the office this year, and perhaps never again in a permanent sense, so we cleared out the spare bedroom and now have two desks in there, with all the stuff on them. We've also moved our printer in here along with office stationery. We both do a lot of online calls so there is some challenge over cross-talking but we're managing and the fact we can shut the door and walk away from it makes family life far better - pus we have our dining table back.
Home office.jpg

fossyant

wont work let you collect the chair and use it at home - that's what we have done for people who have specific chairs

Yes, but didn't want more stuff clogging up the house, and I've got used to it (plus moving about a bit - bear in mind I'm in the garden) - I've not got so lazy as to put our Dolce Gusto next to me in the shed ! 👅 The only danger is I have to watch out for spilling my tea/coffee walking over wet grass and decking !

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Yes, but didn't want more stuff clogging up the house, and I've got used to it (plus moving about a bit - bear in mind I'm in the garden) - I've not got so lazy as to put our Dolce Gusto next to me in the shed ! 👅 The only danger is I have to watch out for spilling my tea/coffee walking over wet grass and decking !
Putting the dolce in my office was the best move. My partner is retired through ill health ( fibromyalgia and a heart condition).....so in the mornings I’m working hours before she gets up and that means less noise from me making coffee and up/down the stairs

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The only danger is I have to watch out for spilling my tea/coffee walking over wet grass and decking !
Wet decking can be bloody lethal! I stayed at a holiday site in Devon in a very nice chalet with a raised decking area. There was a ramp going down to the drive at the back of the chalet. I was wheeling my bike down there one morning (in the direction of the red arrow) and my feet slid out from under me, just from the overnight dew on the ramp! I nearly ended up in a twisted heap of man and bike but managed to break my fall by grabbing the handrail.

fossyant

PS I also managed to blag another WIFI Mesh disc off BT even though they aren't 'meant' for covering your garden, shed or garage - whoops covered the lot with 3 extra's now. They aren't bothered.

Top Bottom