Work & lifestyle changes cycle related

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
A big part of my job is investigating complaints. I'm used to dealing with upset, distressed people. Issues about bikes would be quite a few rungs further down the ladder than the stuff I currently deal with.

That should be one box ticked then, how about sales and marketing?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I like tinkering with mechanical objects and I like riding bikes - but I would not consider doing anything bike-related as a full-time job or stand-alone business. The reason being, when you do something as a hobby or as a casual cash-in-hand sideline, you can lay off it anytime you are not in the mood. When you are doing something for a living and have bills to pay, you don't have that option.
I used to do a few ad-hoc car welding repairs for friends and acquaintances back when rust was the main killer of cars not electronic component failures. All by word of mouth, never touted for business. I never made big money out of it but it covered the cost of having welding gear for my own use and it brought in a bit of beer money. This was in addition to working a full-time job plus regular overtime. Because I knew the customer and value my reputation I did good work and never had any problem chasing payment as it was cash on the nail. At that level, it worked nicely, but that's different from doing it every day of the week, having hefty premises overheads to cover and having to chase up payments. Things that work as a hobby/side hustle may well not be so great as your sole source of income. In fact it might poison your enjoyment of your hobby if it becomes a drudge.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My hobby is the restoration of vintage bikes, I’ve done 10 this year and it has made enough to buy a good used Van Nicholas Ti bike. I would struggle to make a living out of it though, I’m too fussy and far too detailed.
Thanks @Gunk. If you could have charged for all the education, inspiration and enjoyment your projects have given you would have had that Van Nic long ago.😁

Nebulous

Guru
That should be one box ticked then, how about sales and marketing?

I'm not sure I intend to do much of that!

I've done some fund-raising for charities and spent a year at one time as a financial adviser. I hated it and was glad to leave when the opportunity arose.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I intend to do much of that!

I've done some fund-raising for charities and spent a year at one time as a financial adviser. I hated it and was glad to leave when the opportunity arose.

Go for it, better to have tried something and not liked it rather than wondering what if.

Lovacott

Über Member
A big part of my job is investigating complaints. I'm used to dealing with upset, distressed people. Issues about bikes would be quite a few rungs further down the ladder than the stuff I currently deal with.
When you get called on to do a minor repair, something like replacing a tap washer or fixing a bike puncture, you are basically dealing with people with zero practical skills whatsoever.

My next door neighbour is in dispute with a local garage after they changed his oil and filter and a week later his cam belt finished wearing out and slipped.

Quite rightly, the garage are saying that doing an oil and filter change will not wear out a cam belt but my neighbour is holding firm and refusing to pay the garage bill citing the old "it was running fine before I dropped it into you" line.

My worst ever job was a snooty cow in Harrow On The Hill back in 1990. She found me in the yellow pages on a Saturday night about 8.30pm and rang me at home just as I was about to leave to go and see the "Popes" first ever gig at the Mean Fiddler. She had a gushing downstairs loo inlet pipe and when someone had tried to tighten it, it had only gotten worse (nylon v brass). I told her my call out fee was £60 with 1 hour of labour included plus the cost of any spares.

The gig was due to start at 10pm so I had an hour and a half to play with and I had a few spares so off I went.

I turned up at the snooty womans house all suited and booted for Shane MacGowan and proceeded to fix her leaky bog. Fixed it using spares from the back of the van and made the concert with half an hour to spare.

Fast forward two weeks and and I get a snotty phone call from the "lady" in Harrow On The Hill complaining about my £60 charge.

"You were only here ten minutes, that's £350 an hour for a bit of secondary school plumbing experience" she blurted indignantly.

"But I had to drive to your place, at a minutes notice, diagnose the problem and do the repair that same evening. I've only charged you my basic call out and one hour labour minimum charge as agreed when you called me. I've not charged you for the spares I needed which I happened to have in the back of my van".

Bottom line is, she never paid me a penny and she is on Sky TV right now as a newsreader.

Last edited:
Top Bottom