Working Tax Credits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Blimey that amounts to a big contribution by the taxpayers like myself. Sorry but in my world I accepted fully the responsibility of bringing up my kids.

As an insight, I had it not too easy, married at 18 first child at 18 homeless at 18, hostels, halfway houses, slums etc..

Sorry mate but in my book you have it easy, just sounds like a poor me moan.

Drago

Legendary Member
What does Jeremy Kyle say? Ah, yes, "well put something on the end of it then!"

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Blimey that amounts to a big contribution by the taxpayers like myself. Sorry but in my world I accepted fully the responsibility of bringing up my kids.

As an insight, I had it not too easy, married at 18 first child at 18 homeless at 18, hostels, halfway houses, slums etc..

Sorry mate but in my book you have it easy, just sounds like a poor me moan.

Lol thought you would appear with your comedy :rofl: i agree with the OP the whole system is a joke working tax credit child support etc its worked out by idiots its meant to be to help poorer families ? miss calculations over payments and then demanding money back due to there incompetance and putting said poorer families deeper in debt and with less avaliable money. If thats the governments idea of help they can shove it up there ass.

The rich get richer the poor get poorer. I pay my csa payments for my 2 children never received a penny from my wifes ex for his 2 children that i have feed clothed supported for 11 years. Im also a tax payer giving away a a third of my earnings each month due to government employees incompetance.:boxing::gun:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lol thought you would appear with your comedy :rofl: i agree with the OP the whole system is a joke working tax credit child support etc its worked out by idiots its meant to be to help poorer families ? miss calculations over payments and then demanding money back due to there incompetance and putting said poorer families deeper in debt and with less avaliable money. If thats the governments idea of help they can shove it up there ass.

The rich get richer the poor get poorer. I pay my csa payments for my 2 children never received a penny from my wifes ex for his 2 children that i have feed clothed supported for 11 years. Im also a tax payer giving away a a third of my earnings each month due to government employees incompetance.:boxing::gun:

Well by my reckoning the OP's albeit divided family is getting £7800 pa of State support - how much more should we pump into this family?

screenman

Legendary Member
The poor can get richer, maybe not by much but hard work and dedication pays off in the end.

Is it my fault people cannot stick together for the long run.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Dont doubt your maths mate however its the we overpaid you last yearbecause we got our calculatuions wrong so now we want it back regardless if you can afford it. Its not so much the OP's specific situation its just the whole system which grinds my gears. Not moaning at you screenman :smooch:lol

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

My moan is more about the system and its logic. I have worked alongside education since I was 16. Ive paid into the system for 10 years. It's not a woe is me. It's a bit of a what's the point in going to work 40 hours a week when I could get a part time job and spend more time with my daughter and end up with more than I get now.

The system is totally flawed. Is it right that I pay that sum of money for my daughter to be looked after an additional 4 days while child tax credits go to her mother? (This is all a bit theoretical as my daughter can have whatever she wants)

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

Drago, 41 minutes ago ReportTop#17LikeReply

I find this a bit offensive to be honest. I'm delighted to have had my daugter so why would I "put something on the end of it"

The systems just shite

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My wife went on maternity and i phone the child tax credits to tell them of our situation regarding birth of a child, income etc and they adjusted our payments accordingly .
Then we get reviewed a few months later and told we have been overpaid even though i gave them exact figures and we have lost £140 a month on top of the short time at work and the wife not working means i am against the wall .If we have an unexpected bill come in we cannot pay it and i have been sellling bits and bobs , doing a car boot etc just so we can have cash for food before payday.
On top of all this my eldest has been diagnosed with renal failure and this means regular trips to birmingham childrens which all costs ,all mags, didgital tv, going out, eating anything without "budget range " on is cancelled.

screenman

Legendary Member
Guys I can feel some of your pain as I have been there and got the T shirt for homeless and skint with a family. The only thing that got me or should I say us out of that mess was me working every hour there was, taking each and every job and even inventing some. To the OP if you are only working part time find something to fill the rest of that time with that will increase your income.

Guys of my age are likely to be less sympathetic to those getting benefits etc. this is because our age group and the many before us managed without, not saying that was good but it did indeed build in independence.

Cybernight, having a sick child no matter how old is terrible, possibly the worst thing that can happen to a parent, I hope that there is a much brighter future for you and your family soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Drago, 41 minutes ago ReportTop#17LikeReply

I find this a bit offensive to be honest. I'm delighted to have had my daugter so why would I "put something on the end of it"

The systems just s***e
If you find it offensive then don't watch Jeremy Kyle.

I think the system sucks too, taking money off me to give to you.

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

If you find it offensive then don't watch Jeremy Kyle.

I think the system sucks too, taking money off me to give to you.

That's the thing. You don't pay money into the system to give it to me. I've just said I'm not eligible? Did you read the post? No no you just got a little high and mighty.

I also pay in to the system and have done all my life so in theory I'd only be paying myself.

To the OP if you are only working part time find something to fill the rest of that time with that will increase your income.

This is my point. I'm not complaining about not receiving the extra cash (ok I might be a little bit) I'm complaining at the system. I do work full time. I have had extra jobs to supplement my wage and ended up at the point where I didn't see a lot of my daughter.

Part of my point was that there is no incentive for people to go to work full time when you have young children.

Sandra6

Veteran
My eldest has just gone into 6th form,we have lost money that we were given for her.I can't understand it.

If your daughter is still in education you are still entitled to child benefit and child tax credits (if eligible) for her, you need to make sure they know she's still at school.
when my daughter turned 16 they told me her payments would stop unless she was still in school, I dutifully told them she was staying on, they said the payments would stop on the system and be resumed almost instantly and my payments wouldn't be affected. Then the letter came and it showed a drop of £200 from the end of the school year - I wouldn't mind if I actually got £200 per child in the first place!!!
I rang them, they told me not to worry it was all down to "they system" and my payments would definitely stay the same, a new letter would follow shortly. No new letter, I rang again, again not to worry, more blaming the system, payments definitely not going.
Next payment -£200 less. They were recalculated from the following month, and technically I still receive the same amount over the year but it doesn't help that I was £200 short.
The whole "system" is a joke.
Therein ends my own rant.

As to the op, if you have joint custody then surely you shouldn't pay so much in maintenance, after all you're footing half the bill when your daughter is with you, surely?
I would check with your solicitor, or whoever acted on your behalf when you came to the arrangement.
As for the tax credits, they can only be paid to one parent - the mother in this case. If you feel this is unfair you need to contact them to see if there is a different arrangement for parents with shared custody.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got sprogs ranging from 15 months to 24 years.

I've never been rich, but no matter how skint I've been I've always put something away each month, even uf only a fiver, and I've always paid into a pension, even when I was so skint that the day before pay day I was reduced to eating bread and butter only, or salt sandwiches if I was feeling really cosmopolitan so the kids could eat done thing halfway decent.

I know what it's like to cycle 8 miles with the young un in a crossbar child seat to take her to my mums cos i was too skint to run a car or pay for a taxi, then cycle to work, do a night shift, then go collect my daughter and cycle her home and onwards to school.

I didn't like it but I never wasted my breath moaning, and not once did I even jokingly consider that life on benefits might be easier.

My incentive was to better myself, improve my lot in life, secure my future and - most importantly - set an example that you get out of life what you put in.

I'd give my left nut for sone free taxpayer funded hand outs thank you. Stop moaning and invest that effort into improving your lot, because the only person holding you back is YOU.

asterix

Comrade Member
In my experience half the people in the CAB couldn't even spell CAB.

What experience do you have?

I have only visited the CAB once to ask advice about my MiL's credit card bills after she became incapable. They were very helpful indeed and following their advice (with a lot of determination) the bills were set aside.

The poor can get richer, maybe not by much but hard work and dedication pays off in the end.

not always. See above.

Top Bottom