World Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

resal1

I thought the women's race was fascinating on a variety of levels. The way the race unfolded rendered the usefulness of teammates to a minor factor on the outcome. Sure, people rode on the front as if they were doing something for a team-mate e.g. the USA riders, but when it got to the business end. it was who went up the hills on the last two laps fastest. I felt Vos had it to win throughout the last lap.

Armstrong was sat on Guderzo, as 4th rider as they approached Cantele. The perfect place to go with the counter and two complimentary riders working together. Vos would then be left with Cantele for company. Gold and siler in the bag. Race Radios and male managers ?

Cantele did a superb job of holding Vos against the fence whilst Armstrong rode in the gutter up the hill, getting slower and slower. Masterful by Cantele.

As for Emma. I don't think I want to comment. She has worked very hard on her strength this year and is now one of the best, if not the best climber, at the current time.

Cooke was never in it. However that was entirely understandable.

As to the last comment re needing a team to beat Vos. Vos allowed herself to be beaten by the two Italians today. 2 years ago it was the same. Last year it was a lone Cooke who beat Vos. They were clearly the two strongest at the end. The two German riders payed their cards superbly, last year. But in the last km, there was no gas left in the tank.

All in all, today waas fascinating. Not as dynamic "all action", "anyone of 5 can win in the last 4 km" as last year, but none-theless it came to the boil superbly.

A final comment. Sports commentators - "By men, for men and about men" . A damned nuisance these women's events "...tommorrow, when the real race is on. ..... not like when the pros race......" many times not even subliminal. How do they get away with it ?

Skip Madness

resal1 said:
Sure, people rode on the front as if they were doing something for a team-mate e.g. the USA riders, but when it got to the business end. it was who went up the hills on the last two laps fastest. I felt Vos had it to win throughout the last lap.
It would have been interesting to see the USA team ride for Evelyn Stevens, because she had the afterburners on all day, even attacking on the penultimate lap. If she hadn't been working for two hours previously, I am convinced she could have been mixing it up come the end. I was surprised she was effectively chosen to be sacrificed from so early on because her form has been outstanding.
Armstrong was sat on Guderzo, as 4th rider as they approached Cantele. The perfect place to go with the counter and two complimentary riders working together. Vos would then be left with Cantele for company. Gold and siler in the bag. Race Radios and male managers ?
She might have just not fancied it - knackered after a storming time trial on Wednesday and having to chase back after a puncture today, and knowing how Vos was so quick to waste energy on the final lap last year, it might have been a tactical thought which just didn't pay dividends. No way of us knowing, I guess.
As for Emma. I don't think I want to comment. She has worked very hard on her strength this year and is now one of the best, if not the best climber, at the current time.
I don't really know what happened there. I spent about half of the race screaming "GET OFF THE FRONT" at the television. It never looked on for her regardless, though. It was too-well policed and she will have felt this season in her legs more than most (maybe any).
A final comment. Sports commentators - "By men, for men and about men" . A damned nuisance these women's events "...tommorrow, when the real race is on. ..... not like when the pros race......" many times not even subliminal. How do they get away with it ?
Were you watching BBC or Eurosport? I watched on Eurosport but didn't stick around for the studio analysis before or after the race. David Harmon's refusal to learn how to say Tatiana grated, though. "Tatanya Guderzo, Tatanya Antoshina..."

resal1

Yes, Evelyn Stevens was very strong and was used to achieve something that I could not work out. I agree with you, if she had not been "used up" she would probably have made the 4, a 5 and changed the outcome as a consequence.

I just felt Armstrong had moved into exactly the right position to go with the counter and to do so, had predicted it and then woosh... threw away the option on a selection of either Gold or Silver. Might have had nothing left in the tank but at that moment it did not look like it. Pulled off the front nicely to ensure Vos closed up to Cantele. Looked behind. Moved back. As you say. We will never know. Her post race interview gives the saccharine impression she was delighted with 4th and the result for the USA. We are not going to find out more there.

For Emma, a World or Olympic road race is not a World Cup where she is not in contention for the overall. The front was too well policed for her, just as it was last year.

I was watching the BBC and listening to Hugh and Rob Hayles. I sympathise that one race a year is not enough exposure for Hugh and whoever is with him to get familiar with the riders, to enable them to do quality recognition on all apart from Emma, Cooke, Laws and Armistead. This immediately impacts on the quality of commentary possible. However, I really feel for the athletes and some of the comments made which ensure everyone knows they are 2nd class citizens compared with the "real riders".

Skip Madness

resal1 said:
I really feel for the athletes and some of the comments made which ensure everyone knows they are 2nd class citizens compared with the "real riders".
The BBC can be a nuisance like that (especially for an institution that the press would have us believe is politically-correct loony-lefty-liberal etc.). I remember at the track worlds in Manchester in 2008 when some twat was interviewing Victoria Pendleton and telling her how great it was that she was so slender and feminine and not like all of those horrible ugly Eastern Europeans who are basically men because they possess the odd muscle. To them, someone like Pendleton is not a cyclist; she's a sex object who happens to ride her bike fast, with the emphasis firmly on the former.

For shame, although she has done good things like complained about the lack of parity on the track at the Olympics (which it sounds like the UCI is finally starting to address), I think Pendleton has validated these ideas in the odd interview I've heard, basically concurring with the above statements about "masculine" riders and saying that she likes to spend her free time doing "girly" stuff like wearing dresses and heels - the implication being that while cycling she's not being feminine, and that girls who don't like dresses and heels are less girly.

resal1

Is it the UCI or is it the IOC pushing the UCI ? Didn't the UCI report back that they thought - "no chance, not enough sprinter girls in the World to justify 3 medals "? Not too sure where the bar is set but I would imagine that if many 1st World countries like Canada do not have a single indor track, the same argument would cull a raft of men's track events at the Olympics as well. (Imagine the screaming if the replacement Sir Chris Hoy had only a single medal as a target !) If they wanted to reduce competitor count in the village why not axe the team pursuit and team sprint ?

Yep. Hugh and Rob came out with some pearlers about the "big event on Sunday, the professional riders, the full distance, the main event" and too many other little but highly irritating things, that detracted, apart from their inability to spot Vos or Johansson unless given a clear and prolonged view of the number on their backs. And of course, whilst they consulted their list of competitor numbers, their eyes were not on the event. However, minor gripes. The BBC putting on full race long coverage - outstanding. Absolutely great. Much better than even 2002 or earlier.

Skip Madness

resal1 said:
Is it the UCI or is it the IOC pushing the UCI ?
Not really sure - it seemed like nothing was set to change as recently as a couple of months ago, so I don't know what's instigated the volte-face.

Skip Madness

Edit: linked to YouTube vid on next page

And he still looked like his world had just collapsed at the end, even though he'd won.

Have we already had a vote on shooting the commentator?

Well I for one am so pleased that Cadel Evans won today:becool: After all the slating he has had of late and just to think of the hard miles his body has endured over the last couple of months and then show his ass to everyone else in the race today, the man deserves praise:becool:

Al:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I normally can't stand the miserable, wheelsucking tw*t but for some reason I wanted him to win it once he'd attacked.

Top Bottom