World Champs Flanders 2021 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Remind me who tops it again. 🙄
Yeah, your right-winger's pet team... but take some heart from the fact that their lead over DQS is less than the points from Richard Carapaz's Olympic gold (600pts which Ineos played little part in yet benefit from) and Tour podium (675pts, where Ineos had picked Thomas and Tao as leaders). Their third-highest scoring rider is Adam Yates, largely due to his attacking at the Vuelta and multi-stage-winning win of Volta a Catalunya.

So they're currently on top because they actually recruited some attackers not grinders. Will they realise this, back those two in 2022 (in the final year of their current contracts) and finally live up to their claim to ride like Brazil not Arsenal? I doubt it.

Also, the timing of that chart may be a bit flattering. Are we expecting anyone but Ganna from them to pick up lots of points at the Worlds? DQS or Jumbo may overtake them after the Men's Road Race points are added in, depending who stands on that podium.

mjr

Makes a change from Movistar - not sure how the top team is ever marked but it always seems fishy at best.
I think top team is now simply the added points of all their riders. It used to be their top 5 riders or similar. Movistar have never won the current format of the WorldTour. They had a habit of winning the team prize at Spanish races, which are usually something like the added time of the team's first three finishers of each stage, which flatters their too-many-chiefs approach, but they didn't really win it at enough other races and. The team prizes don't count for the WorldTour team rankings, which is probably good because it lets transfers have a more immediate effect when working out next year's starting order.

mjr

I can't be arsed to look but remind me who won the Olympic TT?
TTs aren't memorable, are they? So I looked it up because I still had the rankings site open: Roglic won, so it's irrelevant to comparing Ineos with second-place DQS (because he rides for Jumbo) and the Olympic TT is only worth 350 points anyway.

Are stats only worthless when they don't fit your skewed perspective?
:eek: Where the heck has that come from?

Adam4868

Guru
Yeah, your right-winger's pet team... but take some heart from the fact that their lead over DQS is less than the points from Richard Carapaz's Olympic gold (600pts which Ineos played little part in yet benefit from) and Tour podium (675pts, where Ineos had picked Thomas and Tao as leaders). Their third-highest scoring rider is Adam Yates, largely due to his attacking at the Vuelta and multi-stage-winning win of Volta a Catalunya.

So they're currently on top because they actually recruited some attackers not grinders. Will they realise this, back those two in 2022 (in the final year of their current contracts) and finally live up to their claim to ride like Brazil not Arsenal? I doubt it.

Also, the timing of that chart may be a bit flattering. Are we expecting anyone but Ganna from them to pick up lots of points at the Worlds? DQS or Jumbo may overtake them after the Men's Road Race points are added in, depending who stands on that podium.
Try reading that when you've been at work....who gives a feck really ? But it's odd how Ineos annoy you :rolleyes:

mjr

Try reading that when you've been at work....who gives a feck really ? But it's odd how Ineos annoy you :rolleyes:
Seemed like you give a feck, posting fake rankings here. And I think it's quite understandable why I don't like a boring team sponsored by the retro SUV of a fracker. It's odder how a Ineos doesn't annoy you. But what's it got to do with the world's, which they're not at?

Adam4868

Guru
Seemed like you give a feck, posting fake rankings here. And I think it's quite understandable why I don't like a boring team sponsored by the retro SUV of a fracker. It's odder how a Ineos doesn't annoy you. But what's it got to do with the world's, which they're not at?
Lol....get you ! Not sure if you've noticed but I don't mix politics and sport.But whatever floats your boat Mr Ethical.
Im not too sure where you get the boring from though ? But can I be arsed rising to the bait...Nah it'd make me sound as silly as you :laugh: There's a thread might suit you about cars exiting driveways if your bored?
Do crack on if you want....gave me a laugh for a Monday.

Last edited:
Please keep this up until the Road Races, chaps - it's more exciting than watching Time Trials 👍

mjr

Or we could discuss the event: Great to see a longer women's TT this year but still too short.
Good result 8th I think for GB Joss Lowden as Ellen Van Dijk takes the win, hitting back after Olympic nonselection, her second TT rainbow. Very early start saw her sat in the hotseat for an hour. Marlan Reusser took second I think.

Next race on BBC is 1315 Wed on red button only, the mixed TT, but Rai and others show I think u23 TTs at 0930 and 1355 tomorrow.

Mike_P

Guru
Wednesday afternoon is the mixed team time trail - the competition for the world champions jersey that cannot be worn unless their is a sudden change in race formats. Annoyingly weather here is seemingly dry during the day with only a short bit of rain last Sunday - why could it not have been like that two years ago for the whole week.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Good result 8th I think for GB Joss Lowden as Ellen Van Dijk takes the win, hitting back after Olympic nonselection, her second TT rainbow. Very early start saw her sat in the hotseat for an hour. Marlan Reusser took second I think.
Ellen Van Dijk didn't get selected for the Olympics TT because the TT riders had to come from the RR team.
A mistake, in retrospect. The RR team was all chiefs and no indians, so they didn't have anyone to stick on the front and keep the Kiesenhofer break within catching range.

Next race on BBC is 1315 Wed on red button only, the mixed TT, but Rai and others show I think u23 TTs at 0930 and 1355 tomorrow.
Juniors.

The men's U23 TT was this morning, before the women's Elite TT.
There isn't a women's U23 category at the Worlds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom