World Champs Flanders 2021 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Recorded it, any particular point to start watching from?

I'm a bit of a lightweight so I'd say the last 10k. I didn't notice anything particularly thrilling before then, although I fully accept I know very little about pro cycling.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
The Dutch are a curious team. I wonder if they have so many stars that they can't work well as an actual team.

Not sure I agree with that.
The Dutch did pretty much what you'd expect with such a strong team; keep attacking and see how it pans out.
If one of them had managed to get a lead (as Van den Blaak did in 2017) then it would have been up to the other teams to chase and the rest of the Dutch riders would have sat on hoping to capitalise if Van den Blaak had been caught.
Today, none of them could get away despite Vleutie's repeated efforts so they played the "Vos" card in a sprint.
It just happened that Balsamo was a bit stronger than Vos.

I agree with Andrew - they rode very much for each-other. Every rider did work or attacked despite knowing it would probably be a team-mate that benefited in the end (apart from Vos, who just waited for her taxi ride to the final sprint ;) )

The only thing they might have done better is to conserve energy with *fewer* attacks - especially AVV - and hopefully make them stick, or have more numbers available to manage the finish gallop.
I'd say the same things for the Brits - it's very easy to say, harder to do, I know - but look how little work the Italians did, whereas our domestiques were killing themselves on climb-after-climb shutting down attacks.

(I don't think Our Lizzie had the legs to get a medal this time, as it happens. She's a tryer, but does she ever give an interview without some excuses thrown in? This time it was about the motorbike draft that the front 10 were getting ... )

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Delgado on spanish TV just said that between France pushing the tempo and Italy chasing the happiest is Belgium.

Top Bottom