World Champs Road Races - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a great result, for cav and the whole gb team and, frankly, the whole of the cycling fraternity in the uk. incidentally, the last british wearer of the world champion's jersey was also the first cyclist to win the bbc spoty… simpson is still a legend more than 45 years on…

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The lack of any other team assisting in the chase was a bit weasly IMO. The Germans did their bit until they lost a couple in the crash split but the Aussies, Spanish and Italians just sucked, so to speak.

tsddave

I think this win must silence all Cav haters once and for all.

Its really nice to see Cav and other British riders finally putting the UK on the cycling map.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think some people will always dislike Cav, regardless of what he acheives. He's just that sort of bloke. Personally, I think he's great.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think some people will always dislike Cav, regardless of what he acheives. He's just that sort of bloke. Personally, I think he's great.
Too many people have been brought up with the celebrity culture where brainless grinning idiots are paraded in front of the cameras repeating all the trite phrases their PR people have coached them in. When an individual comes along and talks without having to look at the notes from his speechwriter and says what he thinks they perceive it as arrogance.

Cav comes across as a very humble guy, enormously talented but gracious enough to appreciate the contribution of others. I have never heard another cyclist acknowledge his team-mates as much as he does.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
An excellent result - great win for Cav, and Geraint Thomas also did a grand job.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cav comes across as a very humble guy, enormously talented but gracious enough to appreciate the contribution of others. I have never heard another cyclist acknowledge his team-mates as much as he does.

And the best thing is, he seems sincere when he praises his team. It doesn't seem like he's just doing it because he thinks he should.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I thought the Australians and the Germans got what they deserved, and, sadly, what they hoped for. The UK team rode unflustered by the escapes because they had faith in themselves and in Cavendish. The Australians and Germans just hung around hoping that Wiggins and co. would be exhausted, but without any real intention.

And Cavendish does seem sincere when he talks about his team.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Chris Boardman summed it up well in a tweet: "One plan, widely publicised....and still delivered". They all deserve rainbow jerseys!

I thought the Australians and the Germans got what they deserved, and, sadly, what they hoped for. The UK team rode unflustered by the escapes because they had faith in themselves and in Cavendish. The Australians and Germans just hung around hoping that Wiggins and co. would be exhausted, but without any real intention.

And Cavendish does seem sincere when he talks about his team.

I thought the Aussie's or Italian's might nick it and Cav's positioning had let him down, what do I know :thumbsup:

I just watched it on Sky plus and have managed to avoid everything today which might give the game away! It was an absolutely textbook performance from Team GB. I practically hit the ceiling when cav won and have only just managed to sit still half an hour later. They were just brilliant and deserved the win as they worked for every inch of the road.

Top Bottom