World Champs Road Races - SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a shame there isn't a team medal.

Great win. Really great to see a GB win.

Willo

Great ride by the team and incredible finish by Cavendish. Never fails to amaze me that despite being so obviously the man to watch the opposition cannot do oubt to stop him despite clearly trying to close him in during the run-in. Just watched the Europsport highlights and I had to replay to finish a few times on Sky+ to fathom how he managed to get through when it looked like he'd been hemmed in against the rails. Worthy wearer of the jersey and great for the ever increasing profile of British road cycling.

As for people liking Cav or not, I've always liked him although admit to commenting a year or 2 back that he could be more dignified in interviews etc. Well he's certainly answered that in the positive and is a great representative for GB and cycling in general. In fact I like the emotion he displays at times; seems some will always knock anyone who dares show a bit of character. In any case, becoming world champion level at anything generally requires a fair amount of single-mindedness (which can be interpreted for selfishness) and self-belief (which can be interpreted as arrogance).

Just found this great quote from Cav. I would say I am a fan, may be not his number one but he's a great guy a just brilliant at what he does. Out of position and no lead out train in the last few hundred metres and all those wins I think there can be no doubting his ability on the bike that's for sure.

Then quotes like this must mean any who don't like Cav have stone hearts or simply don't know him at all well in my book:

“The team all rode out of their skins today. It’s a shame they can’t wear the world champion’s jersey as well. I’ve won the jersey, but I just put the finishing touches to the mission”.

Glover Fan

For me personally, one of Cav's best interviews was in the TdF after the stage when Wiggo came off and Cav only found out when the journalist spoke to him about it and Cav looked genuinely upset about it and I'm pretty sure said something along the lines of "oh shoot" on live tv.

He wears his heart on his sleeve and if you follow him on Twitter is an extremely open individual and really embraces his fans.

I'm so happy for him. No doubt he won't win Sports Personality, but we all know he is the only sporting individual worthy of it this year.

Just a shame the whole team cannot wear the hoops.

fimm

Veteran
I've watched the finish several times and it still gets my heart racing every time!

If you can, watch it again. When Cav crosses the line, he celebrates and then he stops quite quickly and starts looking behind him - various people congratulate him - why does he stop so quickly? I assume (and it is only an assumption) that he was trying to find some/all of the rest of the team to thank them (it doesn't happen because he gets swept up in a crowd of media and officials).

Sonofpear

What a great race. Executed perfectly. Im a big fan of wiggins and that turn he did on the front on the last lap was immense. On the run in there was an over head shot and I think stannard and Thomas were blocked in but they muscled down the right kerb but cav got blocked in and couldn't follow them. He's screwed I thought, way back and seemingly boxed in. Then it cuts to the head on shot and you glimpsed cav break down the inside and he's putting the hammer down. Absolutely class. I was screaming at the tv. Awesome ride from team GB. Loved it.

cd365

Guru
I was watching it with the wife (who doesn't like cycling) and her comment was "where did he come from" after it had looked like he was out of it. Amazing stuff.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Spent the whole day yesterday keeping away from the radio, TV or PC until I got to sit down and watch it last night, absolutely brilliant, the most exciting thing I've watched for as long as I can remember.

philk56

Guru
It was an amazing finish.

Sounds like it must have been quite a party last night judging from this tweet from Bradley Wiggins: "Balls! Sore head missed my flight" !

yello

Anyone got a link that I can watch the last 5km or so on? Missed it yesterday on the box... because I didn't think it was on! :blush::sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I enjoyed watching how it was done, despite there being no suspense for me because I already knew the result. Anyway - swiftly moving on ...

The thing about 3 years of preparation since Copenhagan was announced as the venue really struck me. I was watching the Tour of Poland earlier in the season and I remember someone pointing out how GB riders picking up ranking points here and there was very important to qualify more riders for the Worlds. Cav made a point of mentioning all that hard work by his team mates, which wasn't just on the day, but was all season long.

Super effort!

Top Bottom