World Cup - How will England do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

rich p said:
All true.
In the absence of Barry it'll have to be Lampard and Gerrard in the middle. Huddlestone and Carrick are not up to it.
I'd dump Walcott from the squad and have Johnson, Lennon and Joe Cole as my do-something-different players.

I agree Rich - and I can't see a solution unless Barry is fit.

I'd definitely dump Walcott and go for Lennon on the right.

Problem is the centre - if Barry was fit I'd play him and Lampard with Gerard "in the hole" as they say and Rooney up front, with probably Johnson or Cole on the left with Ashley Cole having licence to bomb up there.

If no Barry - I can't see Lampard and Gerard as the midfield 2 - we-d be overrun.

Maybe Fabio has Carrigher as playing a defensive midfielder role - who knows, but that seems to be our main issue.

(Apart from an overreliance on an unfit Rooney and all 3 goalies liable to howlers every now and again.)

Still - roll on South Africa :laugh:

Noodley

So is anyone gonna tell me who's in their group, or don't you know? Or care...:laugh:

mangaman

Noodley said:
So is anyone gonna tell me who's in their group, or don't you know? Or care...:laugh:

Noodley -we're with the US of A/ Slovenia and Algeria - so I think we'll get to the quarter's no problemo.

I don't think we'll win the thing as we're not good enough.

Noodley

mangaman said:
Anyhoo - how are Scotand spending the Summer Noodles? :laugh:

I can't speak for the rest of the country but I'll probably be spending an angst-free time doing bits and pieces and maybe watching the footie and the Tour. I'll likely enjoy it better if it's warm and I get out on my bike a lot.

I might get a laugh at people on the telly taking football all too seriously :laugh:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My business partner was told by a former international that a lot of the pros are tipping Spain, can't see it myself. England could win it if all components of the team are working but a few players failing to fulfill their potential will see us out early. Just hope Rooney shows what a world class player he is.

Don't we always seem to go out in a way that the pundits moan about: penalty shoot out/bad ref decision/foreigners in general etc?

Also it is bound to be at the hand of a country we don’t like or have had a war with. It is never Sweden or Holland always Germany or Argentina. (OK I know we have had a war with all of them)

We woz robbed!

Top Bottom