World Cycling Championship Florence 22 - 29 September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Gutted for Purito. Great finish.

rliu

Veteran
Classic example of a dark horse profiting from the battle between the frontrunner countries of Spain and Italy. Chapeau Rui Costa, winning from that outsider position. Absolutely brutal day that rivalled Milan-San Remo earlier this year (tougher conditions there but at least the riders got a 45 minute rest then when the race got neutralised in the snow and 50km got taken out of the course)

ayceejay

Guru
Over here people think that it rains all the time in Britain and consequently should be favourites in any event when it rains, clearly this is not the case as this was the first 'team' to quit. I am reminded of the England football team who individually play well for their club but are not committed when playing for their country. Is patriotism, or whatever you might call it a thing of the past in the UK I mean Nibali rode in the same conditions, crashed and still put in an effort that deserves praise, compare this with Wiggins who apparently didn't want to get his bike wet.

rliu

Veteran
They carried on coverage of the medal ceremony on the BBC Cycling website. Purito seemed to be tearful throughout and Rui Costa seemed too drained to even look that cheerful as he was being presented with the rainbow jersey, before breaking down in tears himself towards the end of the Portuguese anthem. Today was certainly a race that typified why cycling lives on in the hearts of many despite all the doping scandals.

I missed the end due to the recorder buggering up. I saw until just after the Uran crash and then it stopped and I was catapulted into Sara millican, total fekkin disaster.

Costa eh, good for him, excellent result.

rliu

Veteran
Rodríguez at 34, not surprised he was upset, might have been his last chance..:sad:
No doubt being the nearly man must be starting to really hurt after losing Giro 2012 on the last day and the points and combined jersey in Vuelta 2012 on the last day.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A very big thumb down for the GB team. What a bunch of sissies! It rained just the same for the other riders, but they carried on regardless. Froome,Wiggins, Cavendish, Thomas etc...you have gone well down in my appreciation and will not cheer for you again. Give me continental riders anytime, at least, they man up and do their job.

VamP

Banned
Do you fancy Styby's chances, @VamP?

Just got back from cross. I see the climbers had their day, I thought they would. Styby didn't think any of the puncheurs would be there at the finishing line, and he was right. I think he'll be reasonably satisfied with his performance.

Saw bits of the race on the telly at Hogg Hill caff, looked really tough.

Rui Costa has had a great season all in all, hasn't he?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Geraint Thomas seemed not to have faith in himself. He seemed to think it was pointless to carry on when his team leader abandoned, rather than carry on riding for himself. Strange.

Top Bottom