World Cycling Championship Florence 22 - 29 September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Geraint Thomas seemed not to have faith in himself. He seemed to think it was pointless to carry on when his team leader abandoned, rather than carry on riding for himself. Strange.
The pre-race plan was for Cav & Rowe to do work early, Thomas & Stannard to do stuff mid-race and Froome, Wiggins, Kennaugh & Cummings to be around later on.
Geraint Thomas seems to say he did not yet have any form after the TdF having spent time off the bike recovering form his break, so I'd cut him some slack but it seems to me that team GB might have altered their tactics when they realised it would rain so much to give Stannard some license to be around later on given how he did at MSR this year.

I just hope the management learn from this.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Geraint Thomas seems to say he did not yet have any form after the TdF

I suppose he does have the broken pelvis as an excuse...

It's just that I've always had big hopes for the lad but I'm starting to fear they were misplaced.

thom

____
I suppose he does have the broken pelvis as an excuse...

It's just that I've always had big hopes for the lad but I'm starting to fear they were misplaced.
I just hope Sky step up in how they approach the Classics next year. Stannard was rumored to move to OPQS and you can completely see why - they know how to manage those races and put people in the right place to win. If Thomas does have the personal ambition in that area, maybe he's be advised to consider a similar move when his contract expires.

Spanish tactics at the end were shocking. Rendered Valverde useless and gambled on Purito staying away. One of therm could have attacked with a few K to go and the other sat on the tail of any chasers, giving them a sprinters chance. As it was Valverde was in no mans land and Purito was left crossing his fingers that he didn't get caught.
Nibali was marked out of it and he decided, rightly so, that he wasn't going to drag the others up to Purito only to come 4th - his end placing anyway.

My only slight criticism of the race itself is that it is too long. Why the need for 10 laps? The amount of DNF's surely point to just how hard it is even for the toughest and fittest professional. It also means 9 laps of bugger all happening and whoever is left in the end battling it out with whatever they have left. Just my opinion though.

As for GB, well i think others above have said it best. I'd be surprised if any of them are feeling good about that performance.

thom

____
Valverde should have attacked Nibali, as Boardman suggested, when the 3 caught JRod but he sat back and did feck all. Doping twat (possibly ex:whistle:)
Yes I was just thinking back to that (on my slow hangover penance run just now...).
Why didn't Valverde attack when it got brought back ? Was he so knackered or just personally determined to prevent Nibali winning ?
When Nibali brought J-Rod back and there were 4 left, JRod went to the back and Valverde sat 2nd wheel behind Nibali. Valverde might have gone then but didn't move, so JRod went to the front again with Valverde behind. Valverde did deliberately enable JRod to open a considerable gap on the final steep ramp but... he didn't cover Rui Costa's move, preferring to play a limpet on Nibali. He must have thought Nibali would go after Costa. He judged wrong and for a second time, he failed to use his final efforts in an attempt to win.

Costa ultimately was good enough to profit from that stand-off, from the Spanish pair (in particular Valverde) appearing not to implement the optimal collaborative strategy, misreading the situation and Valverde seeming to be primarily intent in preventing Nibali in particular from winning. I'm glad the race was won by a rider who used his wits to beat the odds of the situation.

Noodley

I just hope Sky step up in how they approach the Classics next year.

Sky (and GB) do not have a DS who can call a one-day race.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Team GB lack a plan B, and plan A is not great. It's clear we don't have the depth of talent that other countries have, but tactically we could learn from the smaller nations.

tigger

Über Member
Gutted for Purito. Shocked and disappointed by the British team. It's no secret that Froome and Wiggins don't like the wet and there was nothing in this race for Cav. But did the entire team need to pull out? Given the conditions they should have backed Stannard from the off, let the 3 big names do the early work so they could drop out. It's a joke and an insult to the competition that they all pulled out. Should be ashamed of themselves.

Sad end to the season, but chapeau Rui Costa, read the race very well indeed.

Top Bottom