World Cycling Championship Florence 22 - 29 September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good on Uran for getting on his back after that chute incroyable and finishing the race, chapeau. Brits take note. Also, Nibali had a crash and got up and kept on, nice one.

rliu

Veteran
Out of interest, did anyone seriously believe Froome was a contender even before it started raining today?
I always took it with a pinch of salt whenever any GB rider talked about going for the Worlds. This seems to be the downside of greater media coverage of cycling, that riders and coaches seem to feel obliged to aim for every big race going, and I dare say linked to how people reacted with disappointment to Cav's finishing outside the top 20 in the Olympics road race.

Archie

Errrr.....
Out of interest, did anyone seriously believe Froome was a contender even before it started raining today?
No, not really. Which made it inexplicable why Cavendish and Rowe were on the front of the peloton for the early part of the race. Can't see why it was GBs place to dictate the tempo.

Ironic that the commentary justification was it would keep the team out of crashes.

thom

____
No, not really. Which made it inexplicable why Cavendish and Rowe were on the front of the peloton for the early part of the race. Can't see why it was GBs place to dictate the tempo.
Thing is, once Cav was picked in the team, there wasn't much else he could have done and looked like he was contributing given the parcours. Maybe the GB team didn't have the guts not to pick him...

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Get the feeling that they weren't united as a team. One must now seriously wonder is Froome and Wiggins can ride together effectively. Seems to be the case that they won't go that extra mile for each other. The result would likely feel like a leaderless team and in that respect it is no wonder they started dropping like flies.

All for one and one for all!!! :bravo:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am surprised no-one predicted Rui Costa... again. He's been doing this all season, and he still seems to be able to fly under the radar. You think people (yes, including all of us) would have twigged by now. And Purito has been coming second all season too!

Agree that the British performance and direction was a disgrace. In those conditions, and for that length of race, they absolutely should have gone out to support a hard man like Stannard or, if he was in better form, Thomas, and supported them with dedicated, fit and hungry riders. Cav did his job as did Rowe. It wasn't worth even selecting Wiggins - we knew that already - and Froome is not really a useful support rider in this kind of race.

Noodley

I am surprised no-one predicted Rui Costa... again. He's been doing this all season, and he still seems to be able to fly under the radar. You think people (yes, including all of us) would have twigged by now. And Purito has been coming second all season too!

You could say that about a few riders tho; I suppose it's good to have open races where the winner can fly under the prediction radar as it means that we don't have a predictable procession.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Get the feeling that they weren't united as a team. One must now seriously wonder is Froome and Wiggins can ride together effectively. Seems to be the case that they won't go that extra mile for each other. The result would likely feel like a leaderless team and in that respect it is no wonder they started dropping like flies.

All for one and one for all!!! :bravo:
you've got to unite around something - a plan.

Would Froome have stood a chance in the dry?

Top Bottom