Worrying news for Strava users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Years ago I was on a ride organised openly on CC. This included the nominated cafe stop. When we got to the cafe stop someone accosted one of the riders (not me!!!) and rather loudly and dramatically accused them of something (having an affair ... something like that). All very loud and unpleasant. The accuser knew where the accusee would be from CC. IIRC the two had not met before in real life, so there was some stalking going on.

All kinds of things can happen which is why I personally think it's best to organise such things on private chats and use the open forum to ask for interest. Then people can be added/removed from the chat and details are not out in the open, and people can say things like "You'll recognise me because I'm riding a Pinarello Dogma diamond-studded special edition with gold-plated DI2, that I never lock for fear of scratching it". I'm normally shy about letting people know that I have such a cool bike.

It's a minor hassle setting up the chat, but once you're on it's just as easy to reply to/monitor as a thread is.

Just my 5p.

Gold-plated Di2?! Maybe for a pub bike.

Sharky

Guru
What an idiot.

Doesn't he realise that by leaving the GPS recording while wheeling his bike he'll reduce his average speed :ohmy:

I have been known to do the opposite. Have left strava running after an event as I drive home in the car with the bike in the back!

To put your minds at ease, when I realise i've done this, I don't save or I delete the ride.

Twilkes

Guru
I have been known to do the opposite. Have left strava running after an event as I drive home in the car with the bike in the back!

To put your minds at ease, when I realise i've done this, I don't save or I delete the ride.

You can always crop the end of the ride - think of all the KOMs you've lost by deleting the rides!!!

Alex321

Veteran
Well it's good then that my privacy zone isn't centred on my house. Though that wasn't due to any sort of security concerns - I moved it to a different road nearby as otherwise the zone would have covered up the start point of a segment I normally do near the start of my rides (if I'm going in that direction). Any segments that start or finish in a privacy zone don't register and we can't have that now can we?!
Yeah, I moved mine because the end of a segment I had the KOM on (I only have 3) fell inside it :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I caught this hacker out as they shared a picture I had only uploaded to Strava, his retort was this picture, now it’s not my house as I have the radius setting on max but it’s still a concern.

I'm not sure what tis person is supposed to have hacked, but I can see photos 3rd parties have uploaded to strava, and I mean 3rd parties, not friends I'm following or who are following me.

privacy zones are a different thing, but photos you upload are on the interweb for others to see.

Johnno260

Veteran
Before or after?

After the event happened, with regards to the club it was a local one and I messaged the creator of the club.

D

Deleted member 26715

After the event happened, with regards to the club it was a local one and I messaged the creator of the club.
Please just put it behind you & move on, these bullies are just that, bullies, they are not worth your effort to entertain what they claim they are going to do, they get their kicks upsetting people.

Tom B

Guru
Well it's good then that my privacy zone isn't centred on my house. Though that wasn't due to any sort of security concerns - I moved it to a different road nearby as otherwise the zone would have covered up the start point of a segment I normally do near the start of my rides (if I'm going in that direction). Any segments that start or finish in a privacy zone don't register and we can't have that now can we?!

I'm pretty sure new privacy zones create off centre from the epicenter of privacy.

My home PZ covers a couple of estates with a few thousand houses, I tend to fire up the Garmin as I set off and it's usually a random minute or two before it starts up and finds a signal and I notice before I start it, often out of my home zone. Equally I'm prone to doing a lap around the estate as a cool down so my ride might have 2km inside the privacy zone, or I leave it running and it picks up a few hundred metres bouncing around in the house. So good luck tacking on 0.5km and finding the centre.

Last edited:
Several years ago my wife was training for a full distance triathlon and a group on her friends would meet to set off on a long bike ride from ours. They would finish again at ours and head out on a brick run and in the meantime I’d be sorting out any issues with their bikes. One thing I insisted they all do in return was to set a privacy zone around our home.

I have a privacy zone set around my son’s house too as I had head out if bike rides and runs from there over the years.

Top Bottom