Worrying news for Strava users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I make sure my start and end points are outside Accy's flat.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sensible not to brag (on Strava) about the expensive bike you're riding. Unless you're being paid to ride it (this year), of course.

I suppose the privacy zones are always a light weight measure in some cases

If you have a ride that starts in one direction and comes back from the exact opposite then it is obvious that you must live in the middle bit
which in some cases narrows it down to one or two houses

In my case it could be anywhere at this end of the road - or the next road along.

The bloke next door did have his mountain bikes nicked some years before I moved in - he reckons someone saw his bikes on his car roof and followed him home then broke in at night
But I have certainly heard accounts of it happening after logged rides - and Strava is the obvious place to look for possible victims I suppose

I have also seen people putting screen shots of their ride on sites like this - and more public places such as Reddit and Quora - and as the screen shot comes from their account the whole ride is shown including the exact start and finish
so just add the mention of their carbon fibre bike with helium filled tyres and plutonium plated seat post (I may have made some of that up!!) and you have a clear target

I'm not being funny, but what could they learn on Strava that they couldn't by following you anyway?

I think I'd notice someone following me home.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not being funny, but what could they learn on Strava that they couldn't by following you anyway?

I think you're right on the mark with this remark. For me it's a particular concern in cycling groups or clubs and in mine we are very careful to do all we can to ensure online conversation about rides is kept as private as possible and only between members.

A university in Belgium has found that even if you use the privacy settings hackers can still discover your location:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...-if-you-use-privacy-settings-researchers-find

I'm not unduly worried - I think hackers have better things to be doing than to work out where I live.
I'd imagine it would be easier to just google for the name of the rider and the area of streets close to where the rides start and finish.
I don't even use my real name on strava.

Slick

Guru
I'm not unduly worried - I think hackers have better things to be doing than to work out where I live.
I'd imagine it would be easier to just google for the name of the rider and the area of streets close to where the rides start and finish.
I don't even use my real name on strava.

I've got a stupid mixed up name my wife called her uncle and my niece's 12 year old boyfriends name, as it was actually quire cool.

Tom B

Guru
Has it ever been proved that Strava is used to target bikes for theft rather than just a theoretical possibility?

I always assumed that would be a bit like hard work for thieves. I'm sure it would just be easier for them to stop you in open and inform you they was taking the bike. Perhaps using a weapon of offence to convince you their idea was a good one.

That said I have my priv zones set off centre from the actual location.

I know of one local lad who's a keen MTB rider with various high value bikes in his photos. You can see on his Strava activities his home address, and then that he wheels his bike around the side of the house to the shed in the garden.

Top Bottom