Worrying news for Strava users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Or log your bike ride as a run. No-one wants your stinky Reeboks.

They might, if strava is showing your ride run at 5min per mile pace for 50 miles!

DRHysted

Guru
I’m always more concerned about a group of houses I ride past than someone hacking my Strava. All bikes are saved under nicknames anyway.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m always more concerned about a group of houses I ride past than someone hacking my Strava. All bikes are saved under nicknames anyway.
Sure, some look very suspicious.

37411089616_f5297aaca9_b.jpg

DRHysted

Guru
More chance of me getting murdered on my early morning walks/jogs probably. I can’t live my life being concerned about stuff like that in this country.

My mum (now 75) has always walked the dogs late at night (22:00 to 01:00 ish) on the New Forest. When she was working one of her colleagues asked her if she was afraid of being attacked. She replied that in her opinion there was more chance in a built up area, after all who would travel where there were very few people on the off chance that someone would be available to attack?
Formidable women, my Mum!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My mum (now 75) has always walked the dogs late at night (22:00 to 01:00 ish) on the New Forest. When she was working one of her colleagues asked her if she was afraid of being attacked. She replied that in her opinion there was more chance in a built up area, after all who would travel where there were very few people on the off chance that someone would be available to attack?

She is formidable and also totally right!

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the discovery that you could track the location of where a bunch of fit young US Marines were doing there individual training runs, that it became a security issue? This feature was introduced to stop that happening!

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the discovery that you could track the location of where a bunch of fit young US Marines were doing there individual training runs, that it became a security issue? This feature was introduced to stop that happening!

As far as I know we've always had the privacy function.
I think it was the global anonymous heatmap that showed hot spots in exotic countries way out in the desert that gave away camps locations.

Probably not much of a risk. Locals would notice an army Camp anyway.

Jameshow

Veteran
As a woman who generally cycles alone, I think this is a bit unnerving. My cycling patterns are way too random for a mass murderer to guess, but it's still creepy.

Your less likely to be murdered than a male and it's always more likely to be someone you know so be especially careful in the kitchen....

DRHysted

Guru

If I remember correctly this happened just after the US military gave all their troops Fitbits or similar.

DRHysted

Guru

Should add she still walks the dogs every night in the New Forest despite now being 75, with no intention of stopping. COVID slowed her down a bit, but only the nails in her coffin lid will stop her.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D walks Bruce alone at night, much to my manly protective chagrin. That said, as passive as Bruce is I'm sure he wouldn't take kindly to any unpleasantness, and Mrs D is control and restraint trained and was a police defensive tactics trainer in her day so Johnny Scumbag would get an unpleasant surprise.

Top Bottom