Worrying news for Strava users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I'd notice someone following me home.
Ah, counter surveillance trained, eh?

There is some evidence that it has happened

but all as anecdotes on sites such as Facebook and the like
and then picked up by newspapers sites on very slow news days

so not exactly firm evidence

but either way - not the sort of planned crime that your average numpty will be involved with
hence it would only be a possibility for someone who has a very high value item as their target

Probably spot the bike on a cycling event and then find their id on Strava then go through their rides and track the central point

errrr

a lot of trouble for a carp 10 year old Carrera from Halfords - maybe worth it for something worth several thousand when they have a buyer set up already

Maybe I should stop now before the cops come knocking on my door and want to talk about a bike theft conspiracy

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For me it's a particular concern in cycling groups or clubs and in mine we are very careful to do all we can to ensure online conversation about rides is kept as private as possible and only between members.
Fortunately, our CycleChat forum rides are very hush hush... Only people with internet connections and web browsers can read about them!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Fortunately, our CycleChat forum rides are very hush hush... Only people with internet connections and web browsers can read about them!

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not? Some of the info in those threads is precisely what, as a club, we try to prevent.

Occasionally I get challenged for removing non-members from a club group. If I point out we've no idea of the intentions, identity etc. of non-members reading what people are doing and when I get "Oh, didn't think of that"

I have three overlapping Strava privacy zones offset from where I live, not that that is likely to make much difference to hackers.

The main ‘defence’ is I live in a block of 17 apartments so anyone knowing my location still has only a 1 in 17 chance of finding exactly where me and my bikes are. Anyone guesstimating from Strava data will have something more like a 1 in 250 chance.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I’m obviously far too complacent as I don’t give a stuff :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m obviously far too complacent as I don’t give a stuff :laugh:

I'm the same Mo but when I look at it as a cycling club secretary I have to take a different view. Theft etc. aside it would be very easy for a stranger to discover where our female members live, when their houses are empty, several are single. This is why I urge people to be cautious as the potential threat is far worse than a stolen bike, which in the scheme of things is nothing.

Jameshow

Veteran

If they follow your rides they are going be severely disappointed in the quality of booty available! Added to which the stopping for a local history cameo would drive them insane!!!

Top Bottom