Worst gig you ever went to........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Hawkwind at Gloucester leisure centre sometime in the 70s, not very good at all. Only stayed till the end to hear Silver Machine.
Yes at Bristol Hippodrome when Buggles were involved with them was crap too, sound was exceedingly crap, far too loud, just a wall of distorted noise I seem to recall.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was going to say Rick Wakeman (what was I thinking of?) in his silly silver cape, but then I remembered a friend and I hauling our way across the country to see John Martyn in a small venue somewhere in the Lake District. No band, just him 'singing' drunkenly, reeking boredom and loathing, to some recorded backing track, all with execrable acoustics, for about three-quarters of an hour. Even now it depresses me just thinking of it...

papercorn2000

The Cranberries - great studio stuff but the poor bint had no stage presence. Again, poor sound quality didn't help.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Once went to London to see a guy called Robbie Fulks at The Borderline, about a four hour round trip for me.
It was only after suffering a couple of truly awful grungy bands who's names I can't recall that I realised I'd got the wrong night - he was on the night after.......groan!

Dragged to see Yes in Stoke - I had an itchy arse after sitting on a wet seat and then then had to sit on a wooden floor to listen to the band.

"I'll be ok - they can't play for long" I thought to myself.....

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
papercorn2000 said:
The Cranberries - great studio stuff but the poor bint had no stage presence. Again, poor sound quality didn't help.

That was a band that I always wanted to see, but missed out on. Turns out that my half-arsed approach to life may have saved me from seeing a howler...... You've really cheered me up :angry:

Forgot to include a Bon Jovi tribute band. I went to see a mate's band play at a pub in Brum. They were pretty good but supported a Bon Jovi tribute band which included a BRMB DJ?!?! The guy running the pub apparently apologized to my mates band for putting them on with such a sh!te headliner. If you can call it a headliner in a pub.

U

User169

Grandaddy; flipping 'eck they were awful (with apologies to Flying Monkey).

U

User482

Badly Drawn Boy, Old Trafford cricket ground. Arrogant cock whose interaction with the crowd extended to insulting large parts of it.

And I hated Muse at Glastonbury in 2004. Great pyrotechnics but utterly soulless.

handsome joe

DJ Shadow at the Astoria. When staring at a DJ on a stage for 2+ hours started to become cool. Lots of Trendies gaulping at what seemed like a pimply teenager playing his records while nodding their heads sagely to the 'Beats'. I don't remember him talking much apart from "Eh.....Hi......London." Then staring at the top of his head. Maybe it was a great gig cause i left after 15 mins. Went around a friends house instead. Sat and had some beer, smoked a joint and played some records. Turned out a much better experience.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Bon Jovi at the O2 in London, awful, just awful. I'm not a fan but they were ok, ish at the Wolves ground a couple of years before.

The only other one that came close was Kid Creole and the Coconuts at the Birmingham Odeon, i have no idea why we went to that one.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
johnnyh said:
Would have to be Fudge Tunnel - they were a support act to Anthrax on the Among the Living tour. Anthrax were awsome, Fudge Tunnel a disaster in every sense. I heckled and the idiot singer decided getting into an argument with me was the way to deal with it!!! Comedy ;) how amateur can you get.

i saw them at sheff poly in '91. they were ok, perhaps they were better in a small venue.

Top Bottom