Worst Smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
No corpse stories, except perhaps dead badgers while cycling. I once forgot to start an extractor when I was carrying out a process that gave off sulphur dioxide and started to fill the lab up with that, not so much a smell though- it's a bit like freshly burnt matches- as extremely irritating (it dissolves in the water in your eyes and lungs to form sulphurous acid- it tends to make you cough a bit). Currently doing some work with thiols (sulphur-containing organic compounds), so far I haven't forgotten the extractor but it doesn't take much to cause a stink- they are noticeable at quite low concentrations in air. I can still taste one of them now.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
We have a caravan toilet in the corner of our shed which has been there, filled to the brim, for at least three and a half years. SWMBO doesn't want to throw the whole thing out since they are worth money apparently. It's from before my time so not my s*** to deal with.

... and so it sits there, waiting..... waiting.......

Don't anyone cross Mickle.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
No corpse stories, except perhaps dead badgers while cycling. I once forgot to start an extractor when I was carrying out a process that gave off sulphur dioxide and started to fill the lab up with that, not so much a smell though- it's a bit like freshly burnt matches- as extremely irritating (it dissolves in the water in your eyes and lungs to form sulphurous acid- it tends to make you cough a bit). Currently doing some work with thiols (sulphur-containing organic compounds), so far I haven't forgotten the extractor but it doesn't take much to cause a stink- they are noticeable at quite low concentrations in air. I can still taste one of them now.

I get showered from my commute in the room where the lab next door keep thier thiols in the fridge..... Not too long ago the fridge stopped working....xx(

Rotting roadkill takes some beating.

Cycling in Australia a few years ago I encounted dozens of animals by the side of the road (mostly kangaroos) in various stages of decay. I had a headwind for most of my trip (6 weeks) and got the first whiff of roadkill from a couple of hundred yards away, made a lot worse with temperatures between 30 and 43 degrees centigrade. xx(

But dead people can't be too much fun!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Standing a bit too close to a pig evisceration line and having a burst gut spray in your face isn't much fun. xx(

My brother (a fireman) was trying to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to someone who had just committed suicide (he was dead, but my brother tried anyway) and received a mouthfull of vomit from the corpse. xx(

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
In a former life, as a chef cook, I was tasked with cleaning out the grease trap which hadn't been done for years. And years. Decades of esterified fats, denatured protien and rotting veg. Mingin. If i'd have known then what i know now I would just chucked some shift it down.....:thumbsup:

PaulB

Legendary Member
My brother (a fireman) was trying to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to someone who had just committed suicide (he was dead, but my brother tried anyway) and received a mouthfull of vomit from the corpse. xx(

If David Sainsbury knew about that and could get morgues up and down the country to agree, he could start that as a new line. Mmmm.

Does anyone remember from a couple years ago the rotting whale which, when being transported through a Tiawanese town exploded covering everything and everone nearby with its peutrifying innards? Its on yewtube somewhere I suspect.

Peteaud

Veteran
Other than that I once hadto go to a flat where the occupant had died 9 weeks earlier. His body was in a position with his head on his chest, thus trapping all the decomposition gases inside his body. He was extremely bloated and many different colours, but other than a fairly strong sickly sweet smell wasn't too offensive. ........until the undertakers moved him. His head rolled back and the gas escaped in a loud belching sound that I can still hear today. I fell down the stairs trying to make it outside before i puked.

What the **** do you do for a job :eek:

Cubist

Still wavin'
What the **** do you do for a job :eek:
The majority of the public don't realise that the police have to attend every death on behalf of the Coroner. In 25 years of policing I have been to scores of sudden deaths, some sterile and dignified, some horrendous and harrowing, and many in between. I hate to say it, but the macabre side of it all disappears after the first few, and I have a good hour's worth of funny anecdotes, but that takes a few pints and the right audience........

Top Bottom