Worst Star Trek character

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ilia from the Star Trek the Motion Picture.
View attachment 514946
The problem with her is that she's a Deltan, who are a race of sexually irresistible aliens. They emit these pheromones that drive humans wild. Problem is you can't smell these pheromones over the screen, so when she says something like, "My oath of celibacy is on record, captain. May I resume my duties?" you think, 'Why's she saying this?'

It must have been tricky being on the same watch as her. None of the male crew able to leave their chairs, without holding their breath and reciting the alphabet backwards. Ilia and Uhuru trying not to notice.

To be fair, its discussed in the novelisation but they muck it up in the movie.

captain nemo1701

I'm a big fan of The Original Series. Never really watched any of the other series.

I don't really have a least favourite character. But, off topic, here's my favourite Star Trek themed record.

View: https://youtu.be/2IddY8s368c

Give The Next Generation a whirl, it achieved at the time what was thought impossible, expanding the Trek universe beyond the original mission.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Give The Next Generation a whirl, it achieved at the time what was thought impossible, expanding the Trek universe beyond the original mission.

I watched it when it first came out and didn't like it much.

I saw about two episodes of the one with the beagle and the terrible theme tune. Never really .managed more than a casual glance at Deep Space thingy. I admit I lied a bit because I did watch the Janeway / 7 of 9 series a bit and liked it.

I saw about two episodes of the one with the beagle and the terrible theme tune. Never really .managed more than a casual glance at Deep Space thingy.

Beagle Captain Archers dog in Enterprise
Go back to it, it’s a prequel to the Original Series (by about 100years?)

No Federation of Planets, Archer essentially helped to kick-start that, with no guidance

It could be treated as a ‘clean slate’, as there was nothing to follow on from
Most alien races could be re-looked at

The Andorians got a larger part in it
Klingons were introduced

DS9; a more character driven series, due to the static setting

Try some of the more unusual episodes
Far Beyond The Stars (hallucination/dream?)
'In The Pale Moonlight

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm a big fan of The Original Series. Never really watched any of the other series.
I'm very much the same. I've often found myself enjoying an episode of one of the later series but they've never become a habit.

Since TOS has been on continuous loop on a Freeview channel I have of course caught up with the few episodes I may not have remembered from the distant past.

My least favourite character is Harry Mudd.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm very much the same. I've often found myself enjoying an episode of one of the later series but they've never become a habit.

Since TOS has been on continuous loop on a Freeview channel I have of course caught up with the few episodes I may not have remembered from the distant past.

My least favourite character is Harry Mudd.

The free availability of TOS is why I rarely bother with the other series. Why bother with an imitation when you can watch the real thing (that you've seen a dozen times before)

captain nemo1701

I saw about two episodes of the one with the beagle and the terrible theme tune. Never really .managed more than a casual glance at Deep Space thingy. I admit I lied a bit because I did watch the Janeway / 7 of 9 series a bit and liked it.

Err..the terrible theme tune was Enterprise. The Next Generation ran from 1987-94 and didn't have a beagle:okay:. DS9 had story arcs so you needed to follow it.
I'd give Enterprise a second chance, prequel series, no Federation, set up things that Kirk/Picard would deal with, very much a 'new frontier' show.
No prime directive either. One very good episode saw the doctor refusing to treat a dying race as he realised it was actually evolution that was killing them off and a simpler branch of their race would eventually dominate, so he had no right ethically to interfere.
season 3 had a big story arc, Season 4 some entertaining 2 and 3 parters.

If you want something that's fun to watch and is kind of Star Trekky (but not Star Trek), try The Orville.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I only really enjoyed the Borg episodes of TNG. The episodes where Data would discover a new human emotion were tiresome and got switched off, as were many of the holodeck episodes where the writers had clearly written themselves into a pickle and the only way out was to either scrap it entirely or put it on the holodeck

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was living in the States when TNG came out, to much fanfare. All the talk at the water cooler and in bars (this being pre internet) was how many characters it had taken to replace Spock.

My favourite Star Trek spin off (sort of) is, of course, Galaxy Quest.

captain nemo1701

I absolutely love The Orville. Star Trek TNG crossed with a soap and infused with humour. The characters are flawed, “human”, often bored and frequently drunk!
Crossing everything that they commission a 4th season

It's great, isn't it. I've not got Hulu for S3 but hope it gets released on blu ray or DVD, I have seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. Have you spotted the Star Trek guest stars?...Marina Sirtis (Troi), Tim Russ (Tuvok in Voyager), Robert Picardo (Voyagers Doctor) & John Billingsley (Enterprise Doctor). Plus the Orville Doctor is the actress who played Cassidy Yates in Deep Space 9, some episodes directed by Johnathan Frakes... no wonder its got the nickname 'Seth Trek'😊. Plus there are Sci Fi gags like in the episode where they enter 2D space, the Captain references 'Doctor Who's phone booth':okay:.

Fun Fact: Seth McFarlane has a cameo in an episode of Enterprise. He's a huge fan & before he became famous, made amateur fan Trek 'movies'.

Top Bottom