Worth it? Upgrading 2300 groupset on b'Twin Triban 3 (2011)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deiniol

Hey folks

I'm after some 'what would you do' advice on upgrading the Shimano 2300 groupset on my 5 year old b'Twin Triban 3 (the red one).

It's currently got the triple chainring and the middle one (39 tooth) is worn out. The chain also needs replacing and the cassette has not been replaced before.

LBS has quoted me around £150 for a new chainring, chain, cassette and fitting.

I could take the opportunity to just upgrade the groupset for a bit more money. Do you think it's worth doing that? If so, would there be an upgrade for under £200?

Or I could just order the chainring online and fit it myself for around £20 and hope that ties it over for another year at least, and eventually put the money towards a new bike or more expensive groupset. (I do love the Triban though and am reluctant to spend on a bike upgrade.)

What would you do, any advice?!

Thanks in advance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Probably £50-60 worth of bits they have quoted you for , even if you spend £30 on a basic toolkit your still quids in.

the snail

Guru
As above, you could probably get the parts + tools for less than half what the shop is asking, probably an hour or so to fit them. I'd get a chain wear tool or a steel rule and make sure you replace the chain before it gets too worn, as it sounds like you have worn the chainring prematurely through running a worn chain on it. These are consumable parts at the end of the day. If you upgrade and don't maintain it, you'll just end up with more expensive parts to replace next time.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
2300 may be out of fashion being 8sp and with the old 'sora' clicky buttons, but it's good solid stuff. I would just replace the consumables (chainring, cassette, chain) and keep going. My tourer is still working fine on 2200 kit which is the version before yours. The 105 kit on my road bike is a little smoother, but not enough to make me rush to upgrade the other bike.

Tools you'd need for the job are a chain tool, cassette tool, chain whip, crank extractor, chainring nut wrench, 8mm allen key, 5mm allen key and maybe an adjustable spanner. You should be able to get all that and the new components for well under that £150, and the tools will be there for the next time you need to fix something

OP
OP
Deiniol

Deiniol

Thanks for all the responses. I'll price up tools and basic components as you've all suggested.

As above, you could probably get the parts + tools for less than half what the shop is asking, probably an hour or so to fit them. I'd get a chain wear tool or a steel rule and make sure you replace the chain before it gets too worn, as it sounds like you have worn the chainring prematurely through running a worn chain on it. These are consumable parts at the end of the day. If you upgrade and don't maintain it, you'll just end up with more expensive parts to replace next time.

You're right. I didn't bother maintaining it for 4 years of very irregular commuting - I imagine you're diagnosis is spot on.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree with above. Replace chainset, cassette, chain and I'd fit a new bottom bracket whilst you're at it. A few basic tools and a couple of hours fun and it will feel like a new bike.
Upgrading groupsets is a bit of a money waste. There's better places to spend your money such as wheels and Tyres.
Nothing wrong with 8 speed either.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You might even get away with just cassette, chain and the 39T ring - spa cycles are a good source for individual Chain rings. Cassette tool and chain whip can be found fairly cheaply online.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes they were dead helpful, phoned up and worked out what I needed to sort out an old Gary fisher mountain bike. Chainset and bottom bracket

stalagmike

Enormous member
I have exactly the same bike as you , so I would be keen to know what you decide to do and how it goes. Mine doesn't have any chain ring wear issues as far as I can tell but I plan on putting on a shiny new chain soon.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You might not need to. Wiggle the crank from side to side, if there's more than a slight amount of play replace. If it's not too bad you will be able to soldier on for quite a while.
If hes taking the chainrings/ crank off may as well assuming the chainrings are as worn as he says they are im guessing the BB wouldnt be in the best of condidtion.

Top Bottom