Would a modern lighter bike make me cycle faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I have a carbon bike in fact it's my 1st road bike having just got bitten by the cycling bug. I wanted a light weight bike having had heavy lumps in the past. I also wanted a bike I was happy to ride and boy do like this one. Like others have said you will notice it on the hills. Your current one sound's the business bet it turns a few heads. :becool: You clearly like and enjoy it. Sound's like it put's a smile on your face too. If getting a carbon bike will put even a bigger smile on your face and you have the funds go for it and enjoy. Sounds like you'd get use from having two bikes for sure. ;)

tom73

Guru
Sure it'll make you faster and more attractive to women. I'm not gonna give you any reason not to.

:secret: Dont tell everyone Mrs73 maybe about

simonali

Guru
I remember when I was more of a full time cyclist, but not so well off and did the London to Brighton a few times. There were plenty of people who had bikes much nicer than mine, but when we got to any uphill bits I was having to climb twice as far, due to zig-zagging around all these rich twats pushing their 5 grand Cannondales up the hill!

I have a carbon bike in fact it's my 1st road bike having just got bitten by the cycling bug. I wanted a light weight bike having had heavy lumps in the past. I also wanted a bike I was happy to ride and boy do like this one. Like others have said you will notice it on the hills. Your current one sound's the business bet it turns a few heads. :becool: You clearly like and enjoy it. Sound's like it put's a smile on your face too. If getting a carbon bike will put even a bigger smile on your face and you have the funds go for it and enjoy. Sounds like you'd get use from having two bikes for sure. ;)
Ribble do one under 9kg for £650
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-evo-pro-tiagra-clearance-bike/

tom73

Guru
Very true they have and free saddle bag bundle too with every bike till Sunday. Not my bike but I have seen on up close they are a good bike. As for the free bundle I have one plus a few extra bits not too bad for quality all round the bag is well made too much bigger than you think

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi Buddy. I,m budgeting around £300/£400 to be honest.

How about this Ribble alloy road bike 56cm REDUCED £300

TonySJ

Regular
I have a btwin triban 520 , the older black and red one, as a winter bike and it's really good value for what you pay new. Mine was second hand having only done 15 miles for £230. The guy I bought it off still has a identical bike in XL size for sale but he's in Chesterfield Derbyshire so probably too far to travel.
My summer carbon bike is lighter but if I were you I'd buy a triban, check gumtree out as there's plenty of cheaper bikes on there, or a lightly used one and check folks in here for their advice.
Just enjoy the New feel of a different bike as I'm sure you will like it.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Don’t think a saving of 2-3kg bike weight is gonna make you climb any faster. The bike is a very small part of the overall package.
What makes a slight difference in my opinion is the frame material. Carbon is usually stiffer than other materials and allows for faster acceleration and therefore faster hill climbing.

Top Bottom