Would a modern lighter bike make me cycle faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
is the OP overweight at all. if so its fairly easy and much much cheaper to lose 2kg in a month of cal controlled diet and exerscise.
He discusses his weight in Post #42

simonali

Guru
Nasty term to use, more successful in the earning stakes than you would have been better.

Get over yerself. They were definitely twats because they'd been out and bought brand new bikes and team kit to match, but then not done any practice whatsoever for a 50 odd mile ride with some good climbs on it. Their bikes looked unused, like they'd only been purchased the day before.

Alan O

Über Member
Get over yerself. They were definitely twats because they'd been out and bought brand new bikes and team kit to match, but then not done any practice whatsoever for a 50 odd mile ride with some good climbs on it. Their bikes looked unused, like they'd only been purchased the day before.
Yebbut, I think it's great when rich people buy bikes they hardly ever ride - a regular supply of hardly-ridden bikes helps keep the second-hand mark going strong and provides nice bargains for those of us further down the pay scale. Whenever I see an obvious newbie struggling on a flash expensive bike, who's clearly never ridden as far as Tesco before, I think "Some lucky bugger's going to get a nice eBay bargain there before long" :rolleyes:

screenman

Legendary Member

I think you have a problem not me, when does it matter what people buy as long as they can afford it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yebbut, I think it's great when rich people buy bikes they hardly ever ride - a regular supply of hardly-ridden bikes helps keep the second-hand mark going strong and provides nice bargains for those of us further down the pay scale. Whenever I see an obvious newbie struggling on a flash expensive bike, who's clearly never ridden as far as Tesco before, I think "Some lucky bugger's going to get a nice eBay bargain there before long" :rolleyes:

A mate of mine spent £4,000 on his first road bike and struggled to keep up with his mates for the first couple of months, the next year he was under 20 minutes for a 10, figure that one out.

What is rich?

D

Deleted member 26715

I think you have a problem not me, when does it matter what people buy as long as they can afford it.
Sounds like GES (green eyed syndrome) to me

Drago

Legendary Member
Would a 13kg bike be that much slower than an modern 11 kg Carrera Vanquish disc braked road bike currently tempted with at the moment.

Be cautious about comparing quoted weights. Several reasons:

There is no universal standard for a bikes weight. Some quote ready to ride, some without pedals, and some without tyres and tubes or seat, or a cheeky combination thereof. Us buyers have no way of knowing who is using what measure.

Even where a manufacturer quotes a genuine "ready to ride" weight, there is no universal sizing standard between manufacturers. One manufacturers size "M" may differ markedly from anothers, where you might find yourself on an "L" instead, making even valid quoted weights of little use.

Then there's where the bikes mass is distributed. An extra kilo spread between the wheels will have a more noticeable effect than exactly the same weight added to the frame instead. A slightly heavier bike, but with lighter wheels, may give you a better performing machine than a lighter one with leaden wheels

Much talk of bike weights is ridiculous, verging on the useless. Go to a shop. Feel the bike, pick it up, ride it. This is the only means by which you can guarantee you are genuinely getting a lighter bike. How a bike feels, behaves and rides can never be determined from a brochure, even an honest manufacturers brochure.

simongt

Guru
All this weight issue can be easily compromised by carrying the 'extras' which is of course, a very personal thing; tools, fluids, food, wind/waterproof, just-in-case things etc.,etc..
I'm guilty of the just-in-case thingys, but that's me, as I'm not particularily weight concious when I go out for a ride. I'm out to enjoy the day with as few worries as possible. And if that means taking extra kit which may well get me out of a muddle, so be it - ! :thumbsup:
And then of course, there are the minimalists with just a cellphone, who have the 'Hi honey, I've broken down/have a puncture, can you come and fetch me - ?' cop out - ! :rofl:

Kajjal

Guru
Weight does help but a well setup and maintained bike that makes you want to ride is the key. Things like having the right gearing for you, and in my case being 100kg having hydraulic disc brakes help a lot as well.

I do mountain biking in the warmer months and on one loop I do off road my new full suspension bike is 10 mins faster than my hardtail bike. The hard tail is a good bike and lighter but the full suspension bike handles the rough stuff better so is faster and less tiring to ride.

Top Bottom