Would a modern lighter bike make me cycle faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I contributed to this thread and read it with interest.
I am amazed to see that you all seem to approach buying a new bike with such rational thought process. Really? Does that actually happen in real life?
Cycling for me is a hobby, I achieve great pleasure in cycling.
Only thing that prevents me from buying another new "advanced" bike is I can't afford.
If I were to win the lottery today, first thing I would do is to go and buy the most expensive bike that I can afford. Because it gives me great pleasure riding it. If it takes climbing easier or go bit faster, that is a bonus.
I just want another new bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Be cautious about comparing quoted weights. Several reasons:

There is no universal standard for a bikes weight. Some quote ready to ride, some without pedals, and some without tyres and tubes or seat, or a cheeky combination thereof. Us buyers have no way of knowing who is using what measure.

Even where a manufacturer quotes a genuine "ready to ride" weight, there is no universal sizing standard between manufacturers. One manufacturers size "M" may differ markedly from anothers, where you might find yourself on an "L" instead, making even valid quoted weights of little use.
I don't know if they still do, but Ribble used to quote the weight as "Raw weight", ie unpainted. Primer, two top coats and a lacquer add a surprising amount to the weight of the frame and I always thought Ribble were a bit cheeky in doing that, particularly as many buyers wouldn't understand what the term means.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am amazed to see that you all seem to approach buying a new bike with such rational thought process. Really? Does that actually happen in real life?

No, not everyone does. Less well informed or casual buyers rush out to their nearest bike shop and buy a bike with little or no thought.

Well meaning but less sensible cyclists spend ages gleaning info from spec sheets and websites, which in reality tells you little more than how shiny and blingy a bike is and how good a bullpoiser the manufacturer is, although that approach in general terms can be oft used to make a shortlist.

For my own part, I'm not skint, but I'm not wealthy either. I have only the space to store so many bikes, and the funds to buy so much. It's important to me that once I've decided on a new bike that I get the best performance for my money. Spec sheets and illusory weight figures aren't a great deal of use when determining which bike suits a rider best, so I get out and burn some shoe leather and look at, feel, handle, and then ride a few. This approach got me my Felt road bike - far from the raciest, lightest, or most bling laden bike you will ever find, but the combination of fit, weight, comfort, stiffness, performance and features hit a very sexy sweet spot for me. Excluding pure luck, there's no way you'll ever get a bike with that personal to you X factor, unless you get out there and find it.

Last edited:
Get over yerself. They were definitely twats because they'd been out and bought brand new bikes and team kit to match, but then not done any practice whatsoever for a 50 odd mile ride with some good climbs on it. Their bikes looked unused, like they'd only been purchased the day before.

So because a person has a nice bike and matching kit, does not ride it much they are a twat?
That says so much about you.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Well once again I thankyou all for the input and valuable advice that's been given. On balance from what's been said, my limited budget would not really get me that New bike that would make that much difference compared to my rather old school bike so I think it's going to have to be a good second hand bike for me. I've been scouring all the classifieds today and low and behold I've spotted a good potential bike just down the road from me. It's a Specialized Allez elite (2011 model) . The seller states it's basically brand new and has covered less than 50 miles. From the pictures I've received it certainly looks a thing of beauty. As you good members here are far more knowledgeable about such things I would be very interested to know what you think of it. It's a 56 frame so I'm hoping it would be the right size for me ( I'm just under 6ft)
The guy is asking £300 for it and with a little luck and a bit of bartering he may sell a little less. It does come with extras such a a cycle helmet , computer and what look like a factory supplied specialized saddle bag to keep spare tubes etc. Sadly I've already got these items on my existing bike but I could always sell them on to recoup the outlay of the initial purchase ( I wouldn't get much in know but every little helps).
Anyway all the very best and thank you.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@johnnyb47 size wiae should be good but try for yourself first
i was thinking about your question whilst out on my ride this morning on my 6 speed steel road bike based around a 1950's Dunelt i think the biggest difference between an older steel bike and a more modern one is the amount of gear changes i make as when on my older steel bikes i find that i just try a bit harder to get away without changing gear but when i go out on an sti equipped bike i find myself changing gears more often .

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I tend to do that too @biggs682. When riding with other cyclists with there modern steeds I've noticed there always in the right gear on a twisty climbs whilst I'm still fumbling around with the down tube shifters. I often find I tend to grind my way up a hill whilst there are spinning. Another thing I find uncomfortable on my old bike are the hoods when cycling for a long time. There are relatively small to rest my hands on compared to modern brake hoods and often suffer from pressure pain and worn bleeding skin between my thumb and indexed finger. The brake cable that comes out from the top of the hood causes this. I'm starting get quite excited at the prospect of a new bike tomorrow :-) :-)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I tend to do that too @biggs682. When riding with other cyclists with there modern steeds I've noticed there always in the right gear on a twisty climbs whilst I'm still fumbling around with the down tube shifters. I often find I tend to grind my way up a hill whilst there are spinning. Another thing I find uncomfortable on my old bike are the hoods when cycling for a long time. There are relatively small to rest my hands on compared to modern brake hoods and often suffer from pressure pain and worn bleeding skin between my thumb and indexed finger. The brake cable that comes out from the top of the hood causes this. I'm starting get quite excited at the prospect of a new bike tomorrow :-) :-)

New bike day is my fave day !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@johnnyb47 give me an old steelie any day of the week over a more modern bike they just dont ride the same way

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've heard and read that so many times buddy on different web sites. I just hope I won't be disappointed in my new purchase a few months down the line. It does make me a little apprehensive shelling out for something I may not like in the long term.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You may be interested in this, which I stumbled across t'other day, tho' it is comparing an old steel frame with a 'superbike' - some way outside your budget. Even then, tho' significant, the difference doesn't seem to be as great as you might think.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank you @swee'pee99
I shall have a good read up on this now.:-)
Edit. ahhh I've seen this before on YouTube. It was quite a good comparison :-)

Last edited:
Good morning,

I've heard and read that so many times buddy on different web sites. I just hope I won't be disappointed in my new purchase a few months down the line. It does make me a little apprehensive shelling out for something I may not like in the long term.

I know someone with the basic allez and they really like it.

The only shock you may have is that according to an internet search the 2011 elite comes with a 50/34 compact chain set.

I've always had 52/42 so had to get used to the much lower gears available when using the small ring, it was initially confusing but I have got it sussed now.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom