Would like to gain weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bookish

Sounds silly but I'd like to put on muscle weight whilst still doing long rides, is this possible? I'm 29 and 6ft 2" weighing 12stone 4lbs but I'm pretty skinny and always have been. I've no idea about nutrition and the right foods to be eating or quantity I should be eating. Anyone able to educate me?

Thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Join the club, I'm 28, 5"10 and 9 stone (due to thyroid problems, not for want of eating!), so I'd like not to be so much of a skinny wretch.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I can vouch for the fact that you can gain plenty of weight while still exercising, it just takes a bit of dedication. You need to make chips a daily thing rather than an occasional treat. Plenty of kebabs, doner not shish, pixxas, some chocolate, ice cream and milkshakes, crisps, lots of butter, tons of bread and don't be shy to aim for 4 square meals a day.

If you want to do it but remain healthy then, sorry, not the foggiest

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
And I though I was too light; I'm only 5 foot 9.25 inch and the last time I jumped on the scales I was just under 9.5 stones.

I can see a rivalry forming here!! :biggrin:

And by the way, I eat pasta like it's going out of fashion, but my metabolism is so fast that it doesn't even make a dent!:rolleyes:

jimboalee

Don't be too concerned about your weight.

What you should be concerned about is how many Watts (power) you can generate for a given duration.

Get on a gym bike or a decent turbo regularly to metric this. The long ride stuff will follow naturally.

For gaining strength and endurance, don't buy a book on cycling. Buy a book written by a bloke who was once in the SAS.

ChrisBD

Buy a book called Super Squats; its an old school bodybuilding book. /but it is a mind of information for what in bbing is called a "hardgainer", and its all simple stuff. I know a few guys that have used it over the years with good results.

It does not go into micr-managing nutrition or training like modern books but it all about compound exercises and good simple clean bulking.

Very simple and very effective.

I can see a rivalry forming here!! :biggrin:

And by the way, I eat pasta like it's going out of fashion, but my metabolism is so fast that it doesn't even make a dent!:rolleyes:

I've been stuffing my face all week; instead of weight increase I've lost a 1.5 lb I'm down to 9stone 5lb :wacko:

I can't believe I was 11 & 1/2 stone when I left school 16 years ago (how time flies), I took Pancreatitis a couple of years later and fell to 9 & 1/2 in less than 2 months :ohmy: with little or no exercise and plenty of Guinness (Food in a Glass) I got back to 10stone'ish, but now I hardly ever drink and exercise the weight is just falling off :ohmy:

One Louder

Sounds silly but I'd like to put on muscle weight whilst still doing long rides, is this possible? I'm 29 and 6ft 2" weighing 12stone 4lbs but I'm pretty skinny and always have been. I've no idea about nutrition and the right foods to be eating or quantity I should be eating. Anyone able to educate me?

Thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

It might sound obvious but basically you need to increase your calorie intake.

Start by making a note of all the calories you eat throughout the average day. The next week increase it by around 500 cals per day, weigh yourself at the end of the week, if you havent gained any weight (you probably will have), increase it by another 500 cals per day for the next week. Then continue that regime (including your cycling) until you start to notice your weight increase. Don't worry too much about the quality of the food you're eating at this stage, just try and keep it balanced.

if you're struggling to get those extra cals and proteins you can supplement your diet with whey protein shakes. You can make some delicious healthy shakes with whey protein powder - a personal favourite of mine is 2 scoops whey, 1 banana, 1 kiwi, rice milk, low fat yogurt, 1 scoop wheat germ (about 250-300 cals, 35g protein) or swapping the yogurt for half a tub of cottage cheese will boost the protein to about 45-50g.

some other tips are, try to eat little but often (as in 6 meals a day and lots of snacks in between). Make sure you're eating before and within an hour of finishing a workout/cycling. Eat before you go to bed. And make sure that you never go hungry, ever.

I'm by no means a nutritional expert, but I've found that the above way works for me, and I'm a super hard gainer.

montage

God Almighty
calories in vs calories out.
If it equals a negative number you lose weight, if it equals a positive number you gain it.
Try having an extra snack a day and 2 large protein shakes

Cheule

And I though I was too light; I'm only 5 foot 9.25 inch and the last time I jumped on the scales I was just under 9.5 stones.

I'm also 5' 9" and up until I was about 25, I had a really fast metabolism so I could eat anything and was stuck at 9 stone.

Now however, I'm 13.5 stone and pretty much still eating the same as before, cycle to work and back every day and have a physically demanding job too. No fair :tongue:

OP
OP
B

bookish

Thanks for all the advice and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I eat constantly and am always hungry so I think protein shakes might be worth a try? Has anybody got any recommendations or preferences on protien shakes (flavour, price etc)

Top Bottom