Would someone perhaps help this noobie out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pavena

Forewarning: I'm completely new to bikes. Completely new as in I haven't really touched a bike since I was like five coming off of training wheels!

I found a really old geared Free Spirit on the street. It was completely useless. Part of the rims were eaten by rust, the grips literally cracked off by touch, flat tires, etc etc. My friend told me it'd be cheap to convert it into a fixie, and I did as much research a noob could do, and I'm almost positive I still don't know the half of it - call me ignorant for diving into this project without completely knowing the know.

I took apart the bike entirely, sanded and repainted the frame, determined what I needed and didn't need, as well as ordering myself some new parts while trying to keep within a reasonable budget. I ordered rims that came with hubs and a 16 T cog + tubes, a crankset (160mm as I am not that tall), a bottom bracket, and 1/8 chains. My tires, grips, and pedals didn't come in yet, and I'll get a brake system for the front later. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something? I've watched some videos on installing the bottom bracket, and I've noticed most frames had threads where they install their bottom bracket, and mine, well, it isn't the same (at least I don't think so). Can someone fill me in on as to what I'm needing to install the bottom bracket? Pardon my lack of knowledge :sad:

I just finished putting spokes on one rim I'll do the other and attempt to true it a little later, so don't mind those :P

nesxzn.jpg

I also kept a somewhat photo journey on "Instagram" if anyone wants to pointlessly view it, but feel free to ignore, or point out any misdoings..

103eh5i.png

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/replacing-servicing-klein-bottom-bracket-unit-massive-pics-596176.html#post6647517

I haven't seen one in the flesh as it were..someone on here will know more than me but I guess you have a press in bottom bracket as per the link above. Good luck with the restoration.....

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Hm, that was a thread about taking apart his odd bottom bracket, but I'm not too sure if ours are the same as I totally didn't have to do that to take the previous one out. I'm probably missing the point because I had absolutely no idea as to what I was actually looking at or don't know how to take that info into account..

Thanks so much for the reply, though! I was literally staring at the computer screen desperately :rain:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hard to tell and only can see photo on my phone ..but no thread on either side makes me think it's a press fit. What did you do to remove the old one? ....and do you have pics of what you removed? Also....why are you still awake at this stupid time of the morning? :smile:

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Oh, if that defines a "press fit", then I supposed it is one, heh. I just used a wrench. I'm pretty sure I didn't have all the right tools, but I amazed myself as to what I can do with one wrench. Hm, I did keep a bucket of all the nuts and bolts and what not, I only threw away the break system as it was useless. Is that what you need a photo of? Aaaand.. I think I'm going to guess this is.. perhaps.. a forum based in the UK as you are from there? I'm from the US (8 almost 9 PM here). Apparently I'm also a noob with Google, and I just clicked anything that said "bicycle chat" without reading anything on it before signing up :blush:^_^:tongue:

Why are YOU still awake at this stupid time of the morning? Either way, it's much appreciated that you are, thank heavens. Or you. Thank both?

Reactions: 4F

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I had just come to the conclusion that you were in USA, because the Free Spirit range was made by Sears an American manufacturer. I have never seen one of their bikes here. Welcome to the Forum....I'm sure that one of the many more knowledgeable members on here will give you some help and advice soon..... but as it's quarter to 3 in the morning here, I guess you may have to wait until tomorrow evening (our time)
I should be asleep as have to leave for work in 4 hours - but have too much pain in my shoulders. :sad:
Will try and rest so BFN (bye for now)

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.

Probably your best bet is to go & see the people at your lbs (local bike shop), take along your naked frame, & they should point you in the right direction as regards to what you will need. (It's always a good move to find a friendly bike shop, they give advice freely.)

Having said that, this forum is also a very good place for advice; things like your bottom bracket problem will get solved if you post pics of your problem area.

P.S. Not many people build their own wheels; when you put the spokes in, only turn the nipples about six turns each; then when you are bringing it into true, do so about two turns on each until the sloppiness goes, from then on only one half turn of each spoke until it comes up tight; the most important thing to do is to let the tension off the spokes, this is done by laying the wheel flat & pressing down on the rims, go all around the rim & then re check for trueness.

HTH

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry, can't offer any help at all but just wanted to wish you the best of luck.
You're doing, and attempting, jobs that I've never had the balls to tackle, maybe I need to just man up and get on with it :blush:
Looking forward to seeing it completed :smile:

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Sorry, can't offer any help at all but just wanted to wish you the best of luck.
You're doing, and attempting, jobs that I've never had the balls to tackle, maybe I need to just man up and get on with it :blush:
Looking forward to seeing it completed :smile:

I actually realized that I had a one piece crank, so I'll need to order myself a conversion kit :sad:

opc-adaptor-truvativ.jpg

I took off the bearing cups which I didn't notice I didn't take off in the first place, and then tried to fit the BB in to see if it'd fit through, but the protruding tube pieces are in the way, which is now the main problem because I concluded that if my BB doesn't fit now, it wouldn't fit even with the kit..

34siel5.jpg

My debate now is wondering if grinding/filing/cutting the tubes off will allow the conversion kit to fit. My question now is if the BB shell's diameter, I think. I'm scared if I get the kit, it won't fit? Or are all shells pretty much the same in diameter, and the BB the only different component?

Oh, and thanks!! Will post up the finish product if I ever in my life finish it since I keep running into obstacles :dry:

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.

Probably your best bet is to go & see the people at your lbs (local bike shop), take along your naked frame, & they should point you in the right direction as regards to what you will need. (It's always a good move to find a friendly bike shop, they give advice freely.)

Having said that, this forum is also a very good place for advice; things like your bottom bracket problem will get solved if you post pics of your problem area.

P.S. Not many people build their own wheels; when you put the spokes in, only turn the nipples about six turns each; then when you are bringing it into true, do so about two turns on each until the sloppiness goes, from then on only one half turn of each spoke until it comes up tight; the most important thing to do is to let the tension off the spokes, this is done by laying the wheel flat & pressing down on the rims, go all around the rim & then re check for trueness.

HTH

Thanks for the welcoming! I'm from a small town, so I don't really have an access to a bike shop. Not easily, anyway, but then, that wouldn't make it a "local" bike shop, but thanks for that.

Hm, I didn't know people don't often build their own wheels, it's kind of fun and relaxing. I do know about the even distributing twist of the nipples, though. I got the hang of the under under over pattern pretty easily. I used my valve hole as a guide, started off with the drive side, threaded the spoke from inside first, skipped every other hole and inserting into every forth hole for the first set of 8, then threaded the other set from the outside and etc etc. I was almost positive that I was consistent with the nipples, but my hub seems to be.. not centered. I noticed because I tried to twist the nipples onto the spokes until I couldn't see the thread anymore. I'll redo it later :tired:

I was told this project as a whole is "easy". I think they meant easy for bike experts, or people who are actually familiar with bikes... :sweat:

Oh, and thanks!! Will post up the finish product if I ever in my life finish it since I keep running into obstacles :dry:
Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY bike maintenance. :laugh:
Just got my commuter back on the road after the rear axle collapsed and, like you, I kept hitting problems.

It IS worth it in the end when you get your bike on the road due to your own efforts though!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
....I was told this project as a whole is "easy". I think they meant easy for bike experts, or people who are actually familiar with bikes... :sweat:
It is if it's a 'normal' frame. ^_^ One piece bottom brackets were only fitted to cheap bikes over here (England), they came from the BMX world.
It may be easier & cheaper to fit a one piece into your frame. Keep the ones you bought for your next project, :smile:, cycling can get adictive.

(I'm told there are wheelbuilding videos on youtube; they may be of help to you.)

All the best.

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY bike maintenance. :laugh:
Just got my commuter back on the road after the rear axle collapsed and, like you, I kept hitting problems.

It IS worth it in the end when you get your bike on the road due to your own efforts though!

Heh, yeah, I'm expecting to feel like a million bucks as the wind brushes against my hair once this silly hassle is over with!

Top Bottom