Would someone perhaps help this noobie out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pavena

pavena

It is if it's a 'normal' frame. ^_^ One piece bottom brackets were only fitted to cheap bikes over here (England), they came from the BMX world.
It may be easier & cheaper to fit a one piece into your frame. Keep the ones you bought for your next project, :smile:, cycling can get adictive.

(I'm told there are wheelbuilding videos on youtube; they may be of help to you.)

All the best.

Yeah, I just haaad to say, "OOH! Free bike!". I took it in, and became obsess with tinkering this little Frankenstein of mine!

There are videos, where'd you think I sort of learned ;) A full on beginner can't magically know how to put on spokes!

fimm

Veteran
Sheldon Brown (which I see you've found already) seems to be the authority on all things bike maintainance.
Good luck, and have fun!

wanda2010

Guru
Hi Pavena, I'm on a self-imposed coffee break at work, so just popping in to say well done for having the guts to take on that task. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

:hello:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I suspect once upon a time that frame had an Ashtabula crank. Sheldon will put you straight. As will the Park Tool company. Just google it. Fairly common on Stateside department store bikes. Not so common on anything but BMX bikes on this side of the pond.

Do keep us informed and well done on the story so far.

naminder

I haven't got a clue how to help you, but kudos for having a go :thumbsup:
Look forward to seeing photos of it completed :smile:

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

Ahh! Thank all of you for the care and support to my silly little project! Now I definitely feel obligated to finish and show you the finish product :P When all is said and done, I'll want to hug all of you and put you in my pocket :wahhey:

wanda2010

Guru
:laugh: I'm that short I'd probably fit in said pocket :laugh:

Partly inspired by you I managed to tighten the chain on my SS earlier this evening using a tennis ball and only managed to swear a few times, until I realised the nut was a tad worn but I found a replacement :wahhey:

Anyway, awaiting the next instalment of your project :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

:laugh: I'm that short I'd probably fit in said pocket :laugh:

Partly inspired by you I managed to tighten the chain on my SS earlier this evening using a tennis ball and only managed to swear a few times, until I realised the nut was a tad worn but I found a replacement :wahhey:

Anyway, awaiting the next instalment of your project :thumbsup:

Good! My pocket awaits you! :cheers:

Aw stop it, I'm blushing! :shy:

TENNIS BALL?! DO EXPLAIN THIS MAGICAL GREATNESS!

OP
OP
pavena

pavena

So far,

25yuquq.jpg

Quick wheel talk, pretty please?

30c3l35.jpg

Okay, so I've been lacing for days trying to figure out a pattern other than the basic under-under-over ordeal, but I was wondering.. I know that crossing the spokes makes the wheel stronger and sturdier, but my question is, is it MANDATORY to have the spokes crossed? What happens if I don't interlace them together?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So far,

25yuquq.jpg

Quick wheel talk, pretty please?

30c3l35.jpg

Okay, so I've been lacing for days trying to figure out a pattern other than the basic under-under-over ordeal, but I was wondering.. I know that crossing the spokes makes the wheel stronger and sturdier, but my question is, is it MANDATORY to have the spokes crossed? What happens if I don't interlace them together?
certain hubs and certain rims make it easier to build a strong wheel without crossing but I'd always suggest a beginner starts with a three cross build

This book http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php is always at my side when building wheels.

Christopher

Über Member
Pavena:
Main thing to remember when deciding on a spoking pattern is that you don't have much leeway with spoke lengths, in other words if you have spokes, say, 296mm long then there is only 1-2 patterns you can build with them with the same hub and wheel.
Far as patterns go, I have only built a radial wheel with a hub that is specifically intended for it, but I have also done 1x, 2x and 3x patterns using normal hubs with no problems, and I am 14 stone.

Top Bottom