Would this Dawes be worth saving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
You have just reminded me - my mum used to crush rhubarb leaves in a bucket of water (oxalic acid again) and used the solution to kill greenfly on her roses.

It's a shame that I don't have neighbour's like yours .
It is certainly worth saving . You could use it to build up your cycle maintenance skills for one thing. If you have similar bikes you can save a bit of money by swapping components over from bike to bike . This can be useful if one becomes unrideable at any point .
You may be lucky in finding some cheap parts on that we'll known online thing . I did .
From your pictures it looks as though a lot of the bike should clean up well. It can be a bit therapeutic at times . If you do come across a problem though it is best to do what my lecturer at college once told the class. " To walk away from it and come back to it at a later date".
It is amazing how when you return to a problem with a different frame of mind things can become a lot easier .
Good luck tinkering .

I've just had another look at your pictures and I think it would look a lot better with just a good wash .
The ally bits should polish up nicely and it looks like wheels are ally too !
If you have some lime or lemon juice in the house you can brush some on the rusty chrome bits to bring them back shiny .

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The bike was delivered to me last night so I've taken a few more photos of the bits that'll need the most attention. (Click for bigger image)
Both pedals are seized.
My pack of Barkeeper's Friend arrives today (thanks @User13710 ) and I imagine I'll be spending a fair while getting things cleaned up.
All the chain needs is a good Mickle, right?

IMG_3769.JPG IMG_3768.JPG IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3774.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looking at that front chainring I'd say it hasn't had a lot of use. Unfortunately the chrome on the FD has corroded through and peeled off, still usable of course. New chain & cables, headset and all bearings greased and you should be good to go.

si_c

Guru
If it's been sat around for a while, then a full bearing service (hubs, headset, BB) new cables and tyres should do the trick. You can give the frame a deep clean as you do that. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner that's a great option, and if you have a dremel with polisher attachments, even better.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Our departure is delayed until tomorrow so I've been having a bit of a poke around.

Front tyre is an anonymous one made in Thailand on a black Weinmann rim marked '''alloy 414'. Tyre is badly cracked and fit for the bin. The rear tyre is a Schwalbe Stelvio dual compound, in good condition, which makes me think it's not been all that long since it was last used. The wheel has no identification, just a part of a sticker.

Both wheels are true.

The seatpost came out fine, although the frame was gouging the post a wee bit.

Alan O

Über Member
I know everyone has already said it, but it shouldn't take much to turn that into a nice bike. Those old 80s bikes were built with the intention of being easy to fix and fettle, and there's usually very good compatibility between parts. There's a surprisingly good supply of old parts on that big auction site - some scarcer parts can be a bit expensive, but most are not.

Having restored my old Orbit and having built a Raleigh Royal from the frame up, I'm envious of the fun you should have with that lovely Dawes :okay:

Top Bottom