Would this Dawes be worth saving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've got most of the bike stripped for cleaning but having a problem with the pedals and the headset.

The pedals are proving extremely difficult to turn (yes, I know the correct thread direction for each side) and will only budge slightly while in a vice and battered with a lump hammer but they do move. I'm leaving them overnight with some plus gas sitting in the threads.

The headset nuts (33mm and 42mm) are bigger than the ends on my current headset spanner, so I'm going to have to find one to suit. The large adjustable spanner I have doesn't open wide enough either.

Brakes came off easily and will be getting the Autosol treatment along with the cranks.

The bottom bracket felt like a bag of gravel when turning the cranks. It came off easily and the internals were caked in a solidified grease. Anyone know how many bearings should be in there? I found 22.
I might fit a cartridge BB if that's possible.

One of the bolts for the bottle cage won't come out, just keeps turning. I guess the nut has come away from the frame.

si_c

Guru
The bottom bracket felt like a bag of gravel when turning the cranks. It came off easily and the internals were caked in a solidified grease. Anyone know how many bearings should be in there? I found 22.
I might fit a cartridge BB if that's possible.

Should be 22 1/4" bearings if uncaged, usually 18 if they are caged. Cartridge BB should be a straight drop in replacement - assuming of course that your crankset is JIS tapered and you know the width of the spindle.

si_c

Guru
What crankset is it?
NVM just looked back at the photos, you've got a SAKAE SR Super Custom crankset, which will likely be a JIS spindle, but 140mm seems like it's rather long, so might be worth double checking the length. If it's anything around 127mm or less you should be able to fit a reasonably close matching cartridge BB.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
NVM just looked back at the photos, you've got a SAKAE SR Super Custom crankset, which will likely be a JIS spindle, but 140mm seems like it's rather long, so might be worth double checking the length. If it's anything around 127mm or less you should be able to fit a reasonably close matching cartridge BB.

It's definitely 140mm end to end.

533AAF84-04BE-4627-B6E4-2E4666BA3C3B.jpeg

Will this mean I'm limited in choices for a new BB or stuck with the original?

midlife

Guru
It's definitely 140mm end to end.

View attachment 419697
Will this mean I'm limited in choices for a new BB or stuck with the original?

You need to measure to the flat end of the spindle and ignore the threaded bit :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I knew I should have included the other pic... 118.65mm

View attachment 419705
TBH I'd drop a couple of caged races in the old BB, you'll never find a shaft that is manufactured that well in a modern bottom bracket, with judicious servicing and a couple of new bearing sets every few years I'd expect that BB to last pretty much forever.

Top Bottom