Would this Dawes be worth saving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, I'm a total beginner at this so I don't know what caged races are. I'll get googling....
Thanks for the suggestion.
These,
s-l300.jpg

The cage just makes reassembly easier, plenty of grease and they'll outlast a 'sealed unit', trick is catching them before there's a problem but as long as you do it's less than a fiver a pair.

Another trick I use is to rotate each crank I/4 turn (1 flat) every time I change the bearings (mark it with a dab of paint or a scratch)

midlife

Guru
I use Weldtite bearings.....very silly name but pretty good lol .

si_c

Guru
You've got an old style spindle there where the nut tightens on to the spindle rather than the reverse. You can either do as mentioned, get some caged 1/4" bearings and replace the ones you have, or swap it for a 68x118mm Shimano BB-UN55.

Assuming you have the tools to fit it, that's the approach I'd take - the shimano unit will require much less fettling to get it installed right, and will last a very long time. If you plan on using this bike in bad weather then it's a no-brainer.

I use caged bearings on one of my Pugs - frankly it's a pain in the ass compared to a sealed unit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You've got an old style spindle there where the nut tightens on to the spindle rather than the reverse. You can either do as mentioned, get some caged 1/4" bearings and replace the ones you have, or swap it for a 68x118mm Shimano BB-UN55.

Assuming you have the tools to fit it, that's the approach I'd take - the shimano unit will require much less fettling to get it installed right, and will last a very long time. If you plan on using this bike in bad weather then it's a no-brainer.

I use caged bearings on one of my Pugs - frankly it's a pain in the ass compared to a sealed unit.
And yet mine is totally the opposite.

si_c

Guru
And yet mine is totally the opposite.

It's mostly fine, but after riding daily in bad weather winter before last I found myself having to repack the bearings every month or so as they started to emulsify, which is something that I've never had happen with a shimano unit.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I usually replace with sealed BBs.
I just find them more reliable and easier both in maintenance and replacement.
I've never had a sealed cartridge freeze in the bottom bracket, but dealt with plenty of cup and bearing ones that did.
BTW, they need to invent a few more types of bearing cups so we can need a few dozen more tools to remove them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's mostly fine, but after riding daily in bad weather winter before last I found myself having to repack the bearings every month or so as they started to emulsify, which is something that I've never had happen with a shimano unit.
Never had the grease emulsify and I ride in all weathers (well if I want to go anywhere I do)

1 caveat I should add is that this is assuming the shaft is an 70s/80s/90s one, the new ones are made of compressed cheese and the bearing surfaces are likely to be knackered by the time you've got to the bottom of the road DAMHIKT but every bike I've fitted a new un on now has external bearings but 3 of my bikes are still on old BB shafts (and I won't mention the one with an 'Isis drive' BB as there would be too much swearing involved)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Never had the grease emulsify and I ride in all weathers (well if I want to go anywhere I do)

1 caveat I should add is that this is assuming the shaft is an 70s/80s/90s one, the new ones are made of compressed cheese and the bearing surfaces are likely to be knackered by the time you've got to the bottom of the road DAMHIKT but every bike I've fitted a new un on now has external bearings but 3 of my bikes are still on old BB shafts (and I won't mention the one with an 'Isis drive' BB as there would be too much swearing involved)
You've never had the grease emulsify because you actually ride your bicycles.

scarygerbil

I usaly go to my LBS with the frame and crank set and he fits them testing the spindle length for best clearence saves a lot of time and a perfect fit all the time

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm having trouble getting the freewheel off the bike. My splined tool is fractionally too big to fit so I'm looking for pointers on what the right size is and where I can get the correct tool.
Freewheel is a Regina 12-17, 6 speed.

Top Bottom