Would you bother reporting this cab driver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Cycling home last night: the cycle path crosses an service road on a zebra crossing. A taxi coming along the road saw me (with my eBay retina burner, reflective tyres, two rear lights and hi vis he couldn't miss me) but went over the zebra crossing anyway.

I don't know why it bothered me so much, it just seemed arrogant - he was clearly in no hurry, had seen me and had plenty of time to stop. The road is a dead end and short, so I cycled down and politiely (genuninely so) reminded him that he has to stop at zebra crossings if there is someone trying to cross. His response was "I don't give a shoot. Piss off"

It wasn't dangerous I suppose because neither of us were going quickly, but the attitude really bothered me. I know what company he was working for and the reg number, but on the one hand it seems petty to ring in, but on the other hand it's a pretty bad attitude for a driver to have. What would you do?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well seeing as you are asking. Not bother. I couldn't be arsed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think I can now I think about it - perhaps on reflection this is just me venting :smile:

Look, vent away.. it's what this site is for.
However if you feel it really was a deliberate piece of dangerous driving, then send the company an email.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Look, vent away.. it's what this site is for.
However if you feel it really was a deliberate piece of dangerous driving, then send the company an email.
It was deliberate, but not dangerous because I assume that people might not stop. It was more the "I don't give a shoot" quote that annoyed me - he didn't even bother with the 'sorry I didn't notice you' defence :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Personally I would let it go, or extract revenge in other ways :evil: rather than reporting it.
However if you feel you want to report it, don't waste your time with the Police, who won't be interested (not a dig at them, I used to be one. It's just that they have more serious stuff to deal with, and limited resources). Instead, report it to the council who issued his taxi badge (local council probably. Same one as on the plate on the taxi itself). If you have his name and/or badge number that would be helpful. Even reg. number of the taxi and time of incident would do.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Personally I would let it go, or extract revenge in other ways :evil: rather than reporting it.
However if you feel you want to report it, don't waste your time with the Police, who won't be interested (not a dig at them, I used to be one. It's just that they have more serious stuff to deal with, and limited resources). Instead, report it to the council who issued his taxi badge (local council probably. Same one as on the plate on the taxi itself). If you have his name and/or badge number that would be helpful. Even reg. number of the taxi and time of incident would do.
If I did anything (which I won't) I'd ring the cab company and let them deal with it how they saw fit.

Thanks for indulging my vent - of course we all see drivers who seem not to give a shoot everyday, but I was just taken aback to meet one who told me that he didn't.

If I did anything (which I won't) I'd ring the cab company and let them deal with it how they saw fit.

Thanks for indulging my vent - of course we all see drivers who seem not to give a shoot everyday, but I was just taken aback to meet one who told me that he didn't.

Zebra crossing are for predestrians not for vehicular traffic. You may want to write to the cab company and the Police and you would probably get proper advice on where you stand when using a zebra crossing on a bike.

It was deliberate, but not dangerous because I assume that people might not stop. It was more the "I don't give a shoot" quote that annoyed me - he didn't even bother with the 'sorry I didn't notice you' defence :smile:
Bang to rights!

Contravention of his license conditions

Express your concern over his driving and your even greater concern over the fact he has stated he doesn't give a shoot about people on pedestrian crossings

He will get points on his professional license

Top Bottom