Would You Buy 8 Speed STI Setup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
having been looking at converting my 9 speed to STI I've been drawn into the world of groupsets, compatability, etc. I noted that the new Specialized Secteur 2010 road bike from Evans:-

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-2010-road-bike-ec019551

comes with Shimano 2300 8 speed STI setup. I also noted that Evans don't actually sell 8 speed STI levers. In fact even 9 speed stuff seems to be getting thinner on the ground.

Would it be wise for anyone buying a new bike to purchase anything less than 9 speed? For how long would you still expect to be able to get parts for the system?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
7 speed cassettes are still around, so I see no issue with 8 speed availability...

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

TheDoctor said:
7 speed cassettes are still around, so I see no issue with 8 speed availability...

I think I was more focused on the shifter aspect, a quick search shows few options for 8 speed STI levers and 7 speed are really getting scarce. Whereas, having done my homework on Sheldons gear calculator, I actually find a 7 speed triple an attractive option.

Crankarm

Guru
Your initial thoughts are right. 8spd is old kit and therefore Evans may just be trying to clear old stock so if the shifters did develope a problem then you would be stuck if they couldn't be repaired economically. You'd then have to upgrade to 9spd if still available or 10spd. You may as well buy a new bike as upgrading to 10spd means whole new drive chain and hubs AFAIK.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Crankarm said:
Your initial thoughts are right. 8spd is old kit and therefore Evans may just be trying to clear old stock so if the shifters did develope a problem then you would be stuck if they couldn't be repaired economically. You'd then have to upgrade to 9spd if still available or 10spd. You may as well buy a new bike as upgrading to 10spd means whole new drive chain and hubs AFAIK.

that's pretty much my understanding which was why I was surprised to see an 8 speed STI setup on a 2010 bike.

Given an assurance of parts availability I don't think I'd hesitate to go with a 7 speed set up.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Decent (105 quality) 8-speed STI shifters are available, but they have become a "non-groupset" part, like 57mm deep drop dual pivot brakes.
ST-R500, £150 to £180.

The advantage of 8-speed is that your cassettes and chains are cheaper, and last longer.
Closely spaced gears are only really necessary if you are riding close to the limit of your ability. The rest of us can easily accommodate a bit of variation in cadence.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well, I had a wander around AW Cycles in Caversham this afternoon and there's a lot of bikes with sub 105 level STI and Ergo equivalents. Until the price got pretty high there was nothing better than Tiagra. Most of these were 2010 models.

Being a bit of a fan of Giant I was most unimpressed with their higher end bikes in the flesh. Didn't like the look of the rectangular style seat pillars at all.

Top Bottom